PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Instructions for the tranny relearn for the DRB III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2012, 07:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel
Default Instructions for the tranny relearn for the DRB III

Does any one have a manual or instructions for the tranny relearn on the DRB III? As ya'll know I had trouble with the Stage One I got. I would like to be able to go through the procedure that they do with the DRB III. I need step by step instructions. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05 Jul 2012, 08:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Instructions for the tranny relearn for the DRB III

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Panel View Post
Does any one have a manual or instructions for the tranny relearn on the DRB III? As ya'll know I had trouble with the Stage One I got. I would like to be able to go through the procedure that they do with the DRB III. I need step by step instructions. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry, but since anyone other than a Chrysler dealer that is doing the "re-learn" would be the owner and he (we) would normally be using the "over-the-road" driving procedure, we normally wouldn't need to know how that is done using the dealer tools. You may be able to find a step-by-step in the fsm but I've never seen them referanced to anywhere before. Sorry.

Apparently you couldn't get any satisfaction from your supplier of the "Stage 1"?

Jerry
Old 05 Jul 2012, 11:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You can do it yourself...here is how:

1- Allow the transmission fluid to reach normal operating temperature. To do so, apply the parking brake and let the engine idle in neutral until the engine
cooling fan has cycled (turned on and off) one complete time.
2- Perform 15 launches from 0 to 50 mph at 25% to 50% throttle and brake lightly to a complete stop following each launch. This will address the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, as well as the 2-1 coastdowns as you brake to a stop.

3- Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kickdown. Perform this 10 times.

4- After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned above, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure.

Without these first 25 shifts, however, your car could have poor shift quality.
Old 05 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Sorry, but since anyone other than a Chrysler dealer that is doing the "re-learn" would be the owner and he (we) would normally be using the "over-the-road" driving procedure, we normally wouldn't need to know how that is done using the dealer tools. You may be able to find a step-by-step in the fsm but I've never seen them referanced to anywhere before. Sorry.

Apparently you couldn't get any satisfaction from your supplier of the "Stage 1"?

Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post

1- Allow the transmission fluid to reach normal operating temperature. To do so, apply the parking brake and let the engine idle in neutral until the engine
2- Perform 15 launches from 0 to 50 mph at 25% to 50% throttle and brake lightly to a complete stop following each launch. This will address the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, as well as the 2-1 coastdowns as you brake to a stop.

3- Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kickdown. Perform this 10 times.

4- After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned above, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure.

Yep, that's the "over-the-road" procedure that I eluded to in my post. I was responding to him wanting to know specifically about the DRB III process.

Jerry
Old 06 Jul 2012, 09:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

I just would like to be able to make sure that the mechanic is doing it right. I don't know if he could screw up the PCM by doing some tests but It showed that it wasn't seeing anti-lock brakes. The check engine light was on, the outside temp showing on the gauge was 104, the doors wouldn't lock and the speedometer wasn't working. So that is why I would like to see a manual to see what the procedure is.
Old 06 Jul 2012, 09:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post

3- Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kickdown. Perform this 10 times.4- After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned above, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure.

The thing that always concerned me with this procedure is you're boosting in 4th/OD. Heck, at 40mph and 25% throttle your already in boost let alone WOT It may not be in boost very long but on a stock tranny it sounds iffy
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 06 Jul 2012, 10:51 am
Cool Cruiser

OurPTGT made a very good point there. Boosting in 4th gear 10 times back to back man that got to be hard on the tranmission
Old 06 Jul 2012, 03:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
I just would like to be able to make sure that the mechanic is doing it right. I don't know if he could screw up the PCM by doing some tests but It showed that it wasn't seeing anti-lock brakes. The check engine light was on, the outside temp showing on the gauge was 104, the doors wouldn't lock and the speedometer wasn't working. So that is why I would like to see a manual to see what the procedure is.

The best I can do is give you the "layman's" version of the process.

1. Hook-up the DRB III
2. Go to the tranny screen
3. Go to the misc. screen
4. Select the "quick-learn procedure" screen and then follow the instructions.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Jerry