PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeezing in a bigger battery?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Squeezing in a bigger battery?

Just thinking....of the things I plan to do to the new (2002) PT I got after I recover from knee surgery is to swap out that horrible box air cleaner for a K&N since that will open up space I was curious how big of a battery I could squeeze in there.

I hate small batteries. I hate the idea of only 525CCA. If I can I will jam an 800CCA one in there. Like I said just thinking for when I can walk with crutches and work on a car again.
Old 06 Jul 2012, 11:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Squeezing in a bigger battery?

if i remember correctly, the tray the battery sits on is bigger than the width of the oem battery. without the aircleaner housing, there's no reason a bigger battery shouldn't fit. i would measure first tho.
Old 07 Jul 2012, 03:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

probaly not going to happen the 525 is more than enought for the PT im actually like you and always go for the max CCA but the K&N will give you more room it will also draw hot air to the engin and the battery is pretty tight keep us informed
Old 07 Jul 2012, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am now on the fence. K&N says it gives about a 5HP gain. Is 5HP on the little 2.4 really worth $300?? I might just leave it as is. At best maybe just get the K&N filter for the box rather then the cone type set up.
Old 07 Jul 2012, 11:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Agree!!!

I bet it's start on 100 CCA- I use a $20 lawnmower batter in Neon, and it cranks like nobody's business. It had over 11:1 CR with stock cams; used an even smaller battery ...
Gear reduction starters are very efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
probaly not going to happen the 525 is more than enought for the PT im actually like you and always go for the max CCA but the K&N will give you more room it will also draw hot air to the engin and the battery is pretty tight keep us informed
I'd forget the K&N, 5HP is a lot on a light car, but I'll assure you it doesn't give 5HP!
Old 08 Jul 2012, 01:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The best thing to do if you feel the necessity to get a larger capacity battery is sit down and do the electrical math to see what is needed for your application.
Then you can go to battery suppliers websites and read the battery specification which will have everything from the CCA, CA and RCmin. and more including weight and physical size specifications.
Remember that ambient temperature as well the engines operating temperature, cranking compression both cold and hot have a lot to do with what you need in a battery.
Using batteries that are less then what your maximum demand might be may have you calling AAA for assistance?

The filter......
The claimed HP gains from many manufactures are not usually back up with advertised DYNO testing. K & N for many of their kits do have DYNO graphs included showing the actaul gains. If the kit you are interested in does not include that like many aftermarket parts it is usaully a "up to" HP gained advertised. Which means you can get from 0 to 5 HP maximum gained?
I always look at any HP increasing product as what dollars to HP is gained. For me it is a better gauge to decided on getting something or not.
$300 = 5hp gained.. Hmm! If you think it is worth it but you might consider there might be other things better spent for dollar per HP gains?
Another way to look at this is if you have already spent thousands of dollars on the engine installing good HP improving parts and are now at the stage that to get more HP means spending larger amounts of money for less results per dollars spent then $300= 5 hp is pretty good?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
Old 08 Jul 2012, 10:09 am
Cool Cruiser

A size 34 will fit in a 2001 cruiser stock location. No mods.
It is a tight fit and the ground will have to be attached before it is finally tilted and slid into place.
The one I have has the posts near the middle of the sides.
It was not an "R" (reverse).

I found that the stock battery size was the weak link to starting. I cant say that the original battery from factory was not good, but the one mine had in from the last owner wasn't that great. Plus now I know I have more capacity and CCA.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 09 Jul 2012 at 05:11 am.
Old 08 Jul 2012, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are having starting problems useing a OEM battery that has been load tested to be able to carry the amps for starting and do not have an engine with increased static compression ratio then most likely it is the battery leads. In most cases the ground(s) are in need of attention. I have all to often seen people install a larger capacity battery and temporarily solving the electrical issues only in a short time have problems return. This means prematurely killing the new battery, returning it under warranty to replace it with yet another that will have the same fate. Simply by cleaning all the contact area's and even adding a couple or more extra braided grounds from the frame to body and engine to frame etc. will cure most all starting problems even on a 13:0.1 race engine with a tiny Braille Battery.

If you are looking for high capacity and quality batteries check these out.
Braille Battery USA &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lighter • Stronger • Faster

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Jul 2012 at 12:01 pm. Reason: added website info
Old 08 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you are having starting problems useing a OEM battery that has been load tested to be able to carry the amps for starting and do not have an engine with increased static compression ratio then most likely it is the battery leads. In most cases the ground(s) are in need of attention. I have all to often seen people install a larger capacity battery and temporarily solving the electrical issues only in a short time have problems return. This means prematurely killing the new battery, returning it under warranty to replace it with yet another that will have the same fate. Simply by cleaning all the contact area's and even adding a couple or more extra braided grounds from the frame to body and engine to frame etc. will cure most all starting problems even on a 13:0.1 race engine with a tiny Braille Battery.

If you are looking for high capacity and quality batteries check these out.
Braille Battery USA &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lighter • Stronger • Faster
Right on, Nitro. I've been using the same Braille battery for what has to be close to seven years now. It's a B3121 and is smaller and lighter than than the OEM battery. I originally bought it to give me room to do what I wanted with the Apollo intake. I've had the Apollo and braille in three differant configurations up to now.

http://www.braillebattery.com/index....teries/b3121/# then click on "tech specs".

PLEASE click below.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 119.8 SNOW, etc..jpg (71.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 121.4 turbo vanity, etc..jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 119.18 K&N Apollo intake & Braille.jpg (61.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by wwpptc; 08 Jul 2012 at 12:48 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2012, 01:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The best thing to do if you feel the necessity to get a larger capacity battery is sit down and do the electrical math to see what is needed for your application.
Then you can go to battery suppliers websites and read the battery specification which will have everything from the CCA, CA and RCmin. and more including weight and physical size specifications.
Remember that ambient temperature as well the engines operating temperature, cranking compression both cold and hot have a lot to do with what you need in a battery.
Using batteries that are less then what your maximum demand might be may have you calling AAA for assistance?

The filter......
The claimed HP gains from many manufactures are not usually back up with advertised DYNO testing. K & N for many of their kits do have DYNO graphs included showing the actaul gains. If the kit you are interested in does not include that like many aftermarket parts it is usaully a "up to" HP gained advertised. Which means you can get from 0 to 5 HP maximum gained?
I always look at any HP increasing product as what dollars to HP is gained. For me it is a better gauge to decided on getting something or not.
$300 = 5hp gained.. Hmm! If you think it is worth it but you might consider there might be other things better spent for dollar per HP gains?
Another way to look at this is if you have already spent thousands of dollars on the engine installing good HP improving parts and are now at the stage that to get more HP means spending larger amounts of money for less results per dollars spent then $300= 5 hp is pretty good?

What most people don't notice is that, yes, K&N did dyno tests and most likely did get the small hp gains that they advertise using their open style
filters. If you'll check out the pics you'll see that the thing that almost everyone misses is that the hood on K&N's test PT is UP. After all the years in the speed shop, I can say without qualification that our PT engine bays are the hottest that I've ever dealt with, the turbos most certainly and even the NA's. You could compare K&N's method with leaving the hood up with leaving the door open on your oven at home. it won't get really hot in the oven til you close the door (hood). You will most certainly loose a few horses with the hood closed as opposed to gaining a few as they claim. Torque will probably stay the same because its produced at lower rpms on our 2.4's rpm band. You MAY feel a little better response off idle because your engine isn't trying to injest large amounts of the HOT air at that early point in your rpm range.

It does look cool and does sound great, but is that what you want to spend that much money to acheive?

Jerry
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 08 Jul 2012 at 02:01 pm.