Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Temporary head Gasket fix Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2012, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Temporary head Gasket fix Question

Hi,does anybody know of like a really good additive to fix a blown head gasket,Its just going to be temp.fix until I can get up the cash to have the job done right.I have a 2005 non turbo that is driving me nuts,I have replaced the radiator cap,cooling fan,thermostat,and ive bled the system a bunch of times,and to no avail when i shut it off (after running a few errands) I hear and see the anti freeze bubbling an spitting out the res.tank.I am kinda hesitant on thinking its a blown head gasket because,I dont have any other signs of it being the head gasket.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Old 09 Jul 2012, 10:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Temporary head Gasket fix Question

Uh.. does the car smoke? If it doesn't smoke, it's probably not a head gasket issue.
Are you losing coolant? If you're only losing it through the radiator cap, then it's probably not a head gasket issue.

What prompted you to replace the parts you listed?

Realistically, you need to do a few things:

1) Check for leaks.
2) Perform a compression test.
3) Pressure test the cooling system.

Old 09 Jul 2012, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Chris,some answers to your questions,no it doesn't smoke,and I'm not leaking anywhere,my mechanic did a compression test and all was okay,I replaced all those parts cause of the bubbling noise,my mechanic says that I'm getting air into the cooling system,he tried that co test that came out ok.I dont want to think its the hg,because I just spent about 950.00 on timing belt and waterpump job,but I guess I have to face reality cause I am at my wits end on this problem.
Old 09 Jul 2012, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Engine CERAMIC sealers. This is the one I have used successful for years.
It is a chemical sealer among a few other brands that will work very well with your engine concern.
If you follow the directions exactly it will seal even a blown head gaskit or even a crack water jacket or head.
Many racers will use this on a new engine for extra protection.
Moroso
Moroso : Category Display

What was your numbers on the compression test?

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Jul 2012 at 11:26 am. Reason: added last question
Old 09 Jul 2012, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Low compression would definitely indicate a blown head gasket, but since that isn't the case, I'd move away from that.. especially given the lack of condensation/vapor in the exhaust..

Honestly, without being there to test/troubleshoot, it's hard to say. Have your mechanic pressurize the coolant system to find the leak. I seriously doubt it's the HG.

Old 09 Jul 2012, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
Low compression would definitely indicate a blown head gasket, but since that isn't the case, I'd move away from that.. especially given the lack of condensation/vapor in the exhaust..

Honestly, without being there to test/troubleshoot, it's hard to say. Have your mechanic pressurize the coolant system to find the leak. I seriously doubt it's the HG.
Chris you and I know what we are doing some may not so I think what you had interned was a little more explanation?
A low compression does not necessarily indicate a blown head gasket unless other tests are performed. If after comparing the results 2 adjoining cylinders have low compression comparatively to the others this would be an indication of perhaps a blown head gasket or crack cylinder. A compression test is the first to do followed by other tests such as a cylinder leak down and a coolant pressure test.
Sometimes the presents of coolant in the exhaust may be so slight it can be easily overlooked.
Old 09 Jul 2012, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

I wasn't saying that low compression is ALWAYS indicative of a blown head gasket. I assumed that in the context of the thread, that would have been understood. What I had meant to say was:

"Given the nature of the OP's existing problem (air entering the coolant system), a low result on a compression test would indicate that the head gasket could be to blame. However, since the compression test did not yield low results or one/two cylinders with large variants, it is plausible to assume that the head gasket is not the culprit in this instance."

I skip one or two steps inside of my head when I come to a conclusion to be as precise and to the point as possible. The OP needs usable information, not a flooded thread of tangents that run them around in circles without ever offering a definitive answer.

Old 09 Jul 2012, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

.Chris and Nitro,Thanks for your input so far.after all the tests that my mechanic did and supposely everything was up to the correct specs.This is the reason why I wanted to see if there was a additive to fix a blown head gasket before I went and had the job done.Because if I got the hg sealant and my issues went away,then I would know where I stand,besides getting the money together.Sorry for being kinda vague but it would be to much to write in a thread,so I was trying to get to the point. Thanks again
Old 09 Jul 2012, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedman14 View Post
.Chris and Nitro,Thanks for your input so far.after all the tests that my mechanic did and supposely everything was up to the correct specs.This is the reason why I wanted to see if there was a additive to fix a blown head gasket before I went and had the job done.Because if I got the hg sealant and my issues went away,then I would know where I stand,besides getting the money together.Sorry for being kinda vague but it would be to much to write in a thread,so I was trying to get to the point. Thanks again

Hope it works out for you.
We are all here to help each other.

The world of Automotive internet diagnosis is 10 x's more difficult because much is lost in translations from the description of the problem, what was done or not done and who did it and how it was done?
So we all do the best we can based on experiences to lend idea's in resolving the problems.
Its what this PT community and forum is all about.
Old 09 Jul 2012, 03:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

when i got my car there was always air in the radiator and my problem ended up being the stupid little hose going to the overflow bottle was not tight enough on the radiator nipple. it would correctly vent excess fluid into the overflow bottle, then suck air back in instead of coolant. i fixed it by cutting 1/2" off the end of the hose and reattaching it. i doubt this will help you, but it doesn't hurt to check.