PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Delay in shifting reverse to drive on automatic PT..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2012, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Delay in shifting reverse to drive on automatic PT..?

Hey guys!

I have about 165,000 on my 2001 PT non turbo automatic. Ive put a lot of $$ into her over the past year and she runs great. However, lately ive been noticing a slight delay/hesitation when im backing out in reverse. I shift into reverse, back on, brake and stop completely, then shift into drive. When i shift into drive, it takes about a second to finally kick in to drive. Ive googled a bit and found similar issues but with more of a delay. Mine is much quicker than some of the 3-5 sec delay ive read about. Wasnt sure if that made a difference.

But anywho, any suggestions on what causes this? Is my trammy going bad? Or something simpler hopefully? Or is this just normal on a car with this many miles? Any help is much appreciated as always! Thanks guys and gals!

Alex
Old 09 Jul 2012, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Delay in shifting reverse to drive on automatic PT..?

When was the last time you had the transaxle flushed? Not just changed, which only changes about 4-5 quarts, but the whole thing flushed.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 09 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh boy..lol...that would be a NEVER. So, i suppose i should start with having that done? Or since ive never had it flushed, does that mean i may have done permanent damage to the trammy? Or hopefully getting it flushed will take care of the issue? Give me some good news please! Lol
Old 09 Jul 2012, 06:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjbriggs View Post
Oh boy..lol...that would be a NEVER. So, i suppose i should start with having that done? Or since ive never had it flushed, does that mean i may have done permanent damage to the trammy? Or hopefully getting it flushed will take care of the issue? Give me some good news please! Lol
We can't see inside your tranny, so we would have no way of knowing that. Just cross your fingers and flush it.

Jerry
Old 09 Jul 2012, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll give you my experience with my wife old car, not a PT. It was shifting odd and the mechanic I had at the time suggested a fluid change....and it worked.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm not understanding the problem here. Shifting between gears in an auto is not immediate. Even in my 2010, there's about a 1 second or so delay from reverse to first and first to reverse...

That being said, never flush a transmission that is starting to have problems. That is one of the most common causes of transmission failure that we see here at the dealer.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The shifting is regulated by the fluid pressure. It is controlled by valves and/or servos either manually in the valve body or ECU to electronically controlled pressure regulators on or in the transmission. As a transmission gets to have millage a film can build up causing the valves and servo to stick which can cause shifting changes. By changing the fluid and adding special additives you can clean the film and sometimes restore the customary shifting.

The long and soft shift points in automatic transmission is done for creature comfort from the OEM. In reality the faster and quicker the shifts are the better it is for the transmission. It does require ECU Calibration changes and/or modifying the transmission valve body and internal components. Some think of it as a Hot Rod Auto shifting because moderate engines speed from 1st to second can cause tire(s) to lose traction momentarily "caught a gear"! You can relate the stock shifting feel to a manual transmission and slipping the clutch for smoother shifts. Not really the best for the clutch disc.

Fluid and gaskets are cheap insurance to do to prolong the life of the transmission and a routine schedule of changing them should be done at 30K miles or less intervals.

If you are getting copper colored spec's in the fluid you should consult a transmission shop. Brown colored fluid and aluminum spec's are not un common with a high millage transmission and not always indicating a serious problem.

Change your fluid drive it a few miles and see how things go. if all is well drive it a couple hundred miles and re-examine the fluid.