PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best Spark Plug Wires?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2012, 04:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Best Spark Plug Wires?

I'm looking for some opinions here. I want to replace my old factory junk spark plug wires with something much better on my 02 non-turbo PT. I've been reading comments here on the 2 favorite brands that stand out, Granatelli and MSD. Some have dissed the Granatilli, some swear by them, but most people seem to like the MSD. Which is the better product, MSD, or Granatelli or are they both good?

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 18 Jul 2012, 05:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Best Spark Plug Wires?

Both are good. I run Bosch wires that I got from Auto Zone and they work just fine. Basically any wires other than the factory ones are good...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 18 Jul 2012, 07:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I replaced mine with Bosch (from Autozone) also). They work fine.

Be careful with Napa Belden blue wires. I tried them first because I had heard good things about them on this forum. But they would never "click" into place on the top of the plugs. And adjustment of their length (in relationship to how they set in their boots) was impossible without ripping the wires.

Tim
Old 18 Jul 2012, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My choice is with MSD very low ohms per foot.

The specifications for the GMS wires are a bit elusive? I looked and it is all advertising hyp but nothing technical?

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Jul 2012 at 07:39 pm. Reason: added the red
Old 18 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I'm really leaning towards the MSD set, but since I have an Autozone nearby, I'll check the availability and price for the Bosch set while I'm at it. My factory wires have just about given up the ghost and need to go.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 18 Jul 2012, 10:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mmm... well, guess I'll post. I did a thread here and on PTCrew where I tested 4 different makes of plug wires. Personally, the OEM wires suck, the MSD's are good, the Bosch's are good, but stay away from the Gran's. I used to be a huge supporter of them, until they fell apart.

Had factory plug wires on the first time I got on a dyno. Was monitoring the current carried over them and one kept dropping low so replaced them with Crane Firewires. Wow, that wasn't a good idea. While the Cranes appeared to be pretty good, well, they weren't. One issue you HAVE to be aware of is trying to match, as closely as you can, your spark plug wires' impedance.

My Cranes were so far off from one another that it added to my rough idle. Think about it - spark hits wire 1, 1200 ohms. Then wire 2, 1680 ohms, then wire 3, 770 ohms, then wire 4, 5680 ohms. The variations in impedance will vary the timing of the spark. Now the only noticeable difference, unless you're into racing, is the idle being somewhat rough. However, I want my engine running at top end, if possible. So, when you buy a set, measure them with an ohmmeter and make sure they are pretty close in resistance.

So after doing a lot of research, blowing off one of the connectors on the Granatelli's down in Florida, I decided to try something different. I went with Vision Motorworks 10.2mm Pure Silicone plug wires.

Wow. Wow wow. First off, if you're running a turbo, you want the plug wires sheathed as thickly as possible. Why? Turbos generate a ton of heat atop the engine bay, and that added heat ages plug wires rapidly, causing the interior to firm up, until they get to the point like my Grans did, where a connector just popped off.

VM's plug wires, at 10.2 mm, are enormous. Add to it, they aren't as expensive as many others. My suggestion, regardless of the path you take and the brand you buy, is do not go smaller than 8.5mm on your plug wires!

These are the one's I have:
compdr59 likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 12:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Seems you like blue wires the absolute best you can get is MOROSO Ultra 40
But you would have to make your own custom set for the PT.
They are made in USA not china!

40ohms per ft 8.65mm and many other specification easily meeting a street run engine including Turbo applications.

But keeping with the threads question MSD Super Conductor @50ohms per. ft. gets my attention and recommendation.

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Jul 2012 at 12:53 am. Reason: added color
Old 19 Jul 2012, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

I use BWD Select SuperMag wires bought from Pep Boys.

I just came across this user test of 5 wires, it seems the BWD wires are not bad.

Spark Plug Wire Ohm Testing For My SRT-4 With Local Sets : OFF Topic (ie: nothing about computers)
Old 19 Jul 2012, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

DO NOT BUY THOSE IF YOU'RE RUNNING A TURBO!

Friggin 7mm wires? Shite, those are smaller than the OEM wires!

Here's the deal - the tests everyone talks about are measurements of impedance. Well hell, that's not enough to friggin vote on a spark plug wire!

Here's the measurements you need to make to compare plug wires:
  • Individual plug wire impedance
  • Current carrying capability (while engine is running)
  • Spark delay & cable velocity
  • Outer coil coverage
  • Sleeve thickness
  • Contact at connectors

So, okay, lets see, my spark plug has 500 ohms. So effing what! If it's 7mm wide, and single coil core with cheapo supremo sleeve and crimped plug, then it's going to fail within 24k miles, guaranteed! If it's on a turbo, and you're using a 7mm wire, well within 50k miles it'll just rot and fall apart!

Come on guys - the issues with spark plug wires go waaay beyond impedance measurements!

Look at the Granatelli's - they had 64,000 sets recalled because of crappy connections to the connectors - hell mine fell off while on the dyno! And yet Grans are what $54 a set?!?!

Seriously, this is my last comment about plug wires, if you guys believe that cheap gets you what you want, then go cheap. If you're serious about having good plug wires that are low impedance, high velocity, with minimal spark delay and thick as can be to withstand heat, and also have a dual-wrapped core to reduce RFI and EI, then really, look at the core components, thickness of the sheath, etc. Otherwise, someone like me who is a total PT nerd will just say, "ah, blah blah go for the MSD's or the BWD's"...

sigh.. off my soap box....

oh and Nitro's correct - if you want top notch, go with the Moroso's - you will find it very hard to beat those wires, but wayyyyyyy too expensive for me....

Last edited by Chromenut; 19 Jul 2012 at 10:40 am.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Bosch wires have a no hassle lifetime guarantee. For those that like that kind of thing
Swap 'em out every 10k or so

I just started running the 9mm wires from SparkPlugsDotCom but have no opinion on them yet. I do like how the front 2 wires have the 90* boot.

I know a few people running the Vision wires and have not heard any negatives on them so far. If they last more than 24k miles, the price seems right
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer