How to Install Booger Bushings?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratdaddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to Install Booger Bushings?

At least, two of the four.

Hi! A little bit ago I had a problem with a squeaky gearshift lever and a dying clutch, which I elaborated on here: PT Cruiser TE Clutch Problems - I think.

Ultimately I had the clutch replaced, and it works. But it's still squeaky, especially in warmer weather. I'd ordered and received the Booger Bushings, but I've only found directions for placing two of them, in a post by Chromenut here: Shifting Problems

Anyhow. I'm not sure where the other two Bushings go, or how to install them. My guess is that it's closer to the gearshift itself, accessed through or near the dash area somehow? Any advice or pics or more specific instructions would be greatly appreciated! (Not that I don't appreciate this forum otherwise )

Thanks, members of the PT Cruiser Links forum!
Kennan
Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to Install Booger Bushings?

Sorry, I forgot to finish that post...lmao... okay, it's not that difficult, but a PITA. You have to loosen up the center console, raise it up until you see the two bushings at the base of your shift lever. If you use the tool I showed, they will pop right out, otherwise they are a bit of a wrestling match to get them out.

Pop them out, pop in the new, and voila - you're done. It's just that lifting that console up and doing it by yourself is a PITA. I would suggest a partner, or come prepared with some methods to hold it up while you do the change out. Personally, I don't suggest taking the console all the way off, so no need to remove the shift knob, etc.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 19 Jul 2012, 06:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Just be careful not to break the plastic on shift cable when prying-
I keep used cables around, or you can do the nifty 'Kyle end' mod
Old 19 Jul 2012, 08:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Apply to dry finger tip , insert into nostril with upward motion with a slight twist ,remove finger...
Chromenut likes this.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 01:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Chromenut, I did it, I think. I took the console all the way off to wash it down -- coffee stains and whatnot. I got the old bushings off and the new bushings on.

I *do* have some further questions. In one post, re: the transmission bushings (which I haven't attempted yet), the picture stated that the Booger bushings should "snap" on, ultimately. I'm not sure if my bushings are all on the way. The pin is flush with the bushing now and there was no "snap." It was more gradual then anything. The cable is more narrow the bushing; also the old OEM bushings are more narrow than the boogers. So you can literally move the cable along the bushing with enough force. Is that right? Additionally, I don't have that 12 dollar tool you recommended.

I did test it like that, and the shifting was much more smooth, but I want to be sure about "connection" before further driving. Much of the primary squeak and effort needed to shift was eliminated in the replacement, but there is some residual squeak at the pivot where the level meets the socket (what's that called?). Would that be remedied with further lubrication? And with what? (Keep in mind, this is the first time of I've done anything remotely car-related so I'm pretty too to a lot of this stuff. It's been fun so far, though!)

Uptownsport, what is the significance of the red loop drawn on your photo?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 21 Jul 2012, 02:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good stuff. Yes, they do take a bit of wiggling to get them to free up. They are supposed to be tight, but I did put a touch of vaseline on mine. As to the tranny ones, drive it like you stole it, then go open the hood and make sure they aren't coming loose. Mine have never come loose.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 21 Jul 2012, 01:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If it's flush it's correct-

Ignore red loop, re-used a pic from a fix for extreme high mileage shifter wear
Old 28 Aug 2013, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Good stuff. Yes, they do take a bit of wiggling to get them to free up. They are supposed to be tight, but I did put a touch of vaseline on mine. As to the tranny ones, drive it like you stole it, then go open the hood and make sure they aren't coming loose. Mine have never come loose.
Late followup: never did the transmission bushings. Anyway, last night went out to drive and all of a sudden the shifter is loose like its somehow become disattached... checked it out, and:

Except I took the picture after. What remained of the old bushing was not even surrounding the peg! Of course, I replaced that bushing, but dang, I couldn't get to the other one (didn't have the tools to remove that metal piece), but it at least *felt* secure. Anyhow, car shifts again, yay!
Old 29 Aug 2013, 01:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ratdaddy; photos would be helpful.
Old 02 Oct 2013, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
...didn't have the tools to remove that metal piece...

I promise I'm not picking on you. I'm curious to your meaning. The 'metal piece', I'm assuming, is the giant metal bracket that provides the base support for the fuse box and air cleaner (which has to be removed to get there).

There are only (2) hex head bolts that hold that bracket in place. I believe they were either 8mm or 10mm bolts. You don't have a socket set?