Advertisements
engine overheating after fixing or rplacing everything

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UptownSport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy engine overheating after fixing or rplacing everything

At wits end with this car, 2003 PT base model had since new. I had the timing belt come apart at 90,000 miles, while that was being replaced I replaced the water pump all hoses and thermostat and radiator cap.
Last year I replaced the Radiator, Radiator fan and computer.
After I got the car back together it was overheating so I did a leak down test and found a broken head gasket which was replaced and new head bolts installed in the correct order and torque sequence.
I am still having over heating problems.
Head was checked with the DYE crack detection kit and no cracks were found.
Timing is set dead on.
Coolant system was bleed to get rid of all bubbles in the system.
IS there something I am overlooking??
Old 23 Jul 2012, 10:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: engine overheating after fixing or rplacing everything

New is New and Good is good.

When does it overheat?
Freeway speed, at idle /other?

Are there leaks? (You did look, I'm sure)

Is it using coolant?
Old 24 Jul 2012, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Check out the CAT. If its not allowing the exhaust to exit, it can will heat the engine up right quick.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No Leaks anywhere. cat is working perfect, temp is 300 degrees hotter coming out than in.
It over heats about 1/2 an hour after its been running. didnt do this before I put the new thermostat in so I am thinking of trying another brand.
It will use about 2 cups of coolant in two days. doesnt seem like its drawing anything back from the overflow tank.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 11:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69daytona View Post
No Leaks anywhere. cat is working perfect, temp is 300 degrees hotter coming out than in.
It over heats about 1/2 an hour after its been running. didnt do this before I put the new thermostat in so I am thinking of trying another brand.
It will use about 2 cups of coolant in two days. doesnt seem like its drawing anything back from the overflow tank.
Check the hose between the reserve tank and thermostat housing for a leak. It won't show on a pressure test. Physically look at the entire length.

I had this happen on mine.

Because of the hole a vacuum could not be created to suck the coolant from the reserve tank back into the engine. When the coolant expanded most makes it to the reserve tank with a small amount lost daily through the hole.

Instead of replenishing the coolant from the reserve tank the engine sucks in air and creates an air-lock, causing an overheat.

Might not be your problem, but something to check and rule out.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 25 Jul 2012, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just thought of one more possible item, could the coolant going into the engine when the head gasket was bad have ruined the O2 sensors causing a lean condition that will make it run hot?
The end of the tail pipe is spotless on the inside. Just a thought.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 12:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Cooling system is more than capable of dealing with any conceivable combustion situation.

You're losing coolant- Look at Badglas's suggestion & similar-
Or go back to Headgasket.
Badglas likes this.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 01:11 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: engine overheating after fixing or rplacing everything

Been seeing alot of posts like this, this is one of the things that concerns me the most. There is nothing you can really do to prevent this
Old 25 Jul 2012, 01:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Easy head gasket checking method......thing.

After you have run the car a bit, shut it down, and let it cool until you can touch the top coolant hose without burning yourself.

Remove the radiator cap, and check the temp of the coolant to see that its not still hot hot.

Shove your finger WAY down in the thermo housing, and rub it in a circular motion all along the inside of the walls of the housing.

Pull finger out.

See any jelly looking substance on your finger? Head gasket is toast.

No jelly looking substance? Head gasket is okay :-D

What happens when you have a leaky HG, is it mixes the coolant with oil in the engine, this gunks up the coolant and although you cant see it but just looking in there , it usually leaves a jelly like film substance inside the thermo housing where it gets trapped by the thermostat itself :-)
Old 25 Jul 2012, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not getting any oil film on the thermostat or coolant in the oil, did a radiator pressure test and all is fine there. Just need to check the burp tank hose to rule that out and check the O2 sensors since I know it was driven for 3 weeks after the timing belt was done with the head gasket leaking.
Also did a leak down test last night so no leaks from either side. Im glad I have my 70 Challenger and some antique cars to drive while I figure this out.
Love the simple old cars.