PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 chrysler pt cruiser ran out of gas runs poorly

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 chrysler pt cruiser ran out of gas runs poorly

So, I think my 2001 PT Limited w/ Manual Tranny(166K miles) ran out of gas, now runs poorly. Mostly when accelerating. Drives OK, loss of pep but goes.

The story... I brought my PT in for new tires, was running low on gas but late for the appointment so I just went to get new tires. When I got the car back, it had no power and really bogged stalled when accelerating from a stop. Limped to gas sation and filled it up. I forget exactly how much I put it, but was substatinally more then ever before. So, I assumed that is my root cause.

Went over to AutoZone and got a fuel pressure test kit. I am running in the high 50's at idle and when rev'ing the engine in the drive way. Emptied out some gas, down to about 1/4. Bleed out the fuel rail some. Refilled with Premium Gas and Lucas Oil Fuel cleaner... Drove a couple miles and no change...

My question: From previous posts, other folks have gone this route with success. So how many miles should I expect to drive before the gas/Lucas stuff do it's thing? Planning on a highway crusie this afternoon.

Thanks Mike
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 chrysler pt cruiser ran out of gas runs poorly

I wonder if you hurt your fuel pump by running "sorta dry" for a while.

Tim
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Follow up: I got the tank down to about 1/4 again. Added Lucas Oil and Primeium Gas. Drove about 180 miles today mostly highway. Slight improvment, but no where near where it was.
Put the Fuel pressure gauge on and it is solid around 58 PSI when driving and on the verge of stalling. So, I think the fuel pump is good. Also, did the Key Dance and no codes are showing up.

Next steps?
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When running that low, you might have picked up something from the bottom of the tank. Fuel injectors might be partially blocked.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Fuel injector's being clogged up seems reasonable. What should I do? Tried some additives, but not doing the job.

Thanks!
Old 25 Jul 2012, 01:22 am
Senior Cruiser

buy some new injector seal rings.

Disconnect the battery.

Remove upper intake.

Remove radiator hose after draining a bit.

youll see the fuel rail

Release the fuel pressure *there is a screw on the end of the fuel rail* unscrew it and push the lil button with a screwdriver.

Disconnect all of the fuel injector relays connected to them.

Disconnect fuel line from rail

Remove the 2 or three bolts holding the fuel rail on. and remove it.

pull the injectors off the rail.

Take some carb cleaner and hose out the intake sides of the injectors, then the output sides.

Let them dry

Remove the o rings on them. install the new ones.

install injectors onto fuel rail

Dip every injector into some gasoline, you can use the gas that was in the fuel rail, just collect it in a jar when you remove the rail. *this primes the rings to go into the head without cracking later and insures a good seal.

Replace the rail on the head, bolt down.

Reconnect fuel line

Reconnect wiring harnesses

Reassemble hoses, intake etc.

Turn car to accessory *this will activate the fuel pump and send fuel to the rail

Check for leaks!!!!!!!

If no leaks are present start car.

IT will take a few turns of the engine to start seeing as air is in the system.

If it runs great your done, if not.....you may need to replace the injectors!

HAPPY WRENCHING!

Oh dont forget to add a bit of coolant to replace the stuff you lost to get the hose off :-)

Last edited by pluminator; 25 Jul 2012 at 01:25 am.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update: Pulled the injectors and found a local shop that cleans them. Hurst Injector Service, they seem to do a great job. Replace the screens, the pintle cap? and the O-Rings. Even have a report showing the before and after. Also did new plugs and new wires. While the car seems to run a little bit better, it still lacks the power it once had by a lot.

It's been suggested that I could have a clogged Catalytic Converter. Would running out of gas trigger this to suddenly be noticable? Does a clogged cat come on slowly or abruptly?

Thanks
Old 31 Jul 2012, 10:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: 2001 chrysler pt cruiser ran out of gas runs poorly

There have been some interesting replies in this thread, all covering likely suspects.

However, there is one clue in the OP and that is:

"I brought my PT in for new tires, was running low on gas but late for the appointment so I just went to get new tires. When I got the car back, it had no power and really bogged stalled when accelerating from a stop."

As unlikely as it is, could the tire shop have dorked something up when they were replacing rubber? Hard to imagine but there are idiots in every profession.
mnahmnah likes this.
Old 01 Aug 2012, 06:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

So, I checked manifold vacuum, by way of the vaccuum port on top of the throttle body. Seemed OK, but not 100% on what I am looking for. Was going to trying pulling out the Oxygen sensor to make sure there is no exhaust back pressure and go for a spin?

As for the tires... Yes, this has been bothering me and is rising quickly up my list as all the usual suspects of running out of gas are checked/fixed. To add more info, the tire change was the direct result of hitting a curb and tweaking a wheel. Followed by about 100 miles of driving with a donut. When the donut was on, I did notice the speedo was off and assumed it was from having 2 vary different sized tires.

Thanks for everyone's help and time!
Old 01 Aug 2012, 09:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: 2001 chrysler pt cruiser ran out of gas runs poorly

From your description, it doesn't sound like you actually ran out of gas. If your car made it to the gas station, why do you think you ran out?