PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Leaking Transmission Oil Cooler ?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badglas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Leaking Transmission Oil Cooler ?

Have a 2002 Cruiser with automatic transmission.

Over the last number of months, I've been getting a very slow dripping of transmission fluid under the front of my car. Took it to the dealer who told me it could be a number of things (pan gasket, solenoid pack, cooler lines) but due to everything being coated in fluid it was hard to tell.

I opted for the least expensive first and had them tighten the oil cooler lines and replace the pan gasket. Over the last couple weeks, the dripping has re-appeared. The dealer told me today that the transmission cooler itself is leaking and needed to be replaced .... "gauranteed 100% what the problem is".

Really ? - the cooler itself is leaking ? Is this an external cooler or one integrated into the rad ? Either way, what kind of coin am I going to be looking at for this ? Dealer said they had to order the part and it wouldn't be in for three days.

Mark.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Leaking Transmission Oil Cooler ?

Mark, the automatic trans. oil cooler is at the bottom of the radiator. It is attached at the bottom. Sometimes the lines leak where they attach to the cooler, due to the ends that attach to the cooler being distorted by the clamp, and your re-using the old clamps or lines after loosening them. Your lines running to your solenoid pack can also leak where they attach--as well as the solenoid pack, itself.

You can check the solenoid pack by removing the battery and battery tray and looking at it (it's above the tranny). If the leak is coming from the solenoid pack or it's oil lines, you'll see it and know that's where your leak is, since the auto trans. oil is not likely to leak ... up... from the lower parts of the tranny to the higher location of the solenoid pack.

Several posters on here have reported that the lines connecting to the solenoid pack, leak at the point where they attach (just like in the scenario where they attach to the cooler).

Tim
Old 24 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

I understand what you are saying, but the dealer is telling me I need a new oil cooler itself. (?) For some reason, that just sounds rather odd to me that the cooler itself would be leaking. I can understand if the LINES were leaking.

Mark.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 12:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

They tell me some models have an external oil-to-air Trans cooler (PS is in the radiator's heat exchanger) so perhaps

You need to look- There's no way we can do any better than what a person actually observing the leak can
Old 25 Jul 2012, 12:35 am
Cool Cruiser

My 01 has an external trans cooler as well as a cooler that is part of the radiator. The line runs into the radiator, out of the radiator, into the cooler, and out to the transmission. If you have the external cooler it is in front of the A/C condenser down low. It is in a spot that could be damaged by debris on the road.

Open the hood, look straight down in front of the condenser. The cooler is about 6" tall, 2 inches thick, and is as wide as the condenser.

Its unusual for one to leak unless damaged, but not unheard of.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 25 Jul 2012, 07:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
My 01 has an external trans cooler as well as a cooler that is part of the radiator. The line runs into the radiator, out of the radiator, into the cooler, and out to the transmission. If you have the external cooler it is in front of the A/C condenser down low. It is in a spot that could be damaged by debris on the road.

Open the hood, look straight down in front of the condenser. The cooler is about 6" tall, 2 inches thick, and is as wide as the condenser.

Its unusual for one to leak unless damaged, but not unheard of.

Ron
offtopic, can you take a pic of your trans cooler? On my GT, the cooler is only 1" thick. I have heard in the past that the n/a cooler was larger but never really looked into it.
sorry for the threadjack
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 26 Jul 2012, 12:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
offtopic, can you take a pic of your trans cooler? On my GT, the cooler is only 1" thick. I have heard in the past that the n/a cooler was larger but never really looked into it.
sorry for the threadjack
Just saw your post. Went out to the garage to get you that pic, but the cooler is down so low and under the condenser that I cannot get a pic that will help without disassembling the front end.

I will have it apart again in the near future and will post pics as I take it apart. Kael and I intend to document our next repair with pictures as we tear down and rebuild. We will be doing timing belt, water pump, and head gasket. I will start a new thread when we do this so our forum friends can watch our progress. It will also allow them to watch a 5 year old tear down a motor. :

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 03 Aug 2012, 07:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

I should have that pic for you this weekend.

Old 04 Aug 2012, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Afternoon. Here are the pictures of the transmission cooler. There are 3 different pictures from different angles. It's tough to get a good shot even with the grille and radiator removed. Hope this helps OurPTGT.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (97.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (90.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (98.3 KB, 81 views)
JenneK likes this.

Old 30 Mar 2017, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So i know it's off topic but I just replaced my tcm on my 06 touring edition and my dad didn't mark the transcooler lines does anyone have a picture of the way they are supposed to be hooked up?