PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What air filter should I get? [2002 PT]

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2012, 12:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What air filter should I get? [2002 PT]

I am wondering what the best air filter is to get for my 2002 PT Cruiser.
I want a great quality air filter, $50 is the most I'll go for the air filter itself.

Last edited by Gmoney; 25 Jul 2012 at 12:26 am.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 12:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What air filter should I get? [2002 PT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney View Post
I am wondering what the best air filter is to get for my 2002 PT Cruiser.
I want a great quality air filter, $50 is the most I'll go for the air filter itself.
That would be IMO K&N. Lifetime filter you never need to replace it ever. Also a K&N will flow under most any conditions better then most other air filters available for stock replacement. Ok so in an endurance race like Baja 500 foam wrapped K&N may be a the better choice! lol

Couldn't say if you will find one in your price criterion?

Most of us that have used them on a DYNO either chassis or engine Dyno can usually log a slight (very tiny) difference in gains. Not always what is claimed by individuals using them and the marketers of the filter.

Many butt dyno experts reports are mixed between not feeling anything to the increase in air intake sound as indicator of more power? The MPG is very biased because of the tendency to drive harder based on the new air intake sound is more power philological effect?

The alternative to a K & N, for reliable quality and price point IMO would be FRAM or WIX air fil in that order.

There are dozens of threads dating all the way to the beginning of this forum that talk about air filters to possibly help with your query.
And it is a feast of information that will have you just as confused as reading my response on this thread!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Jul 2012 at 12:59 am. Reason: why else because I can and do
Old 25 Jul 2012, 07:05 am
Dedicated Cruiser

This one:

K&N 33-2153 Shape: Panel (Flat) Air Filter H-1 1/8 in. L-7.5 in. W-10 in. | eBay
Old 26 Jul 2012, 09:30 am
Young Cruiser

Add another vote for the K&N filter, but be sure and also get their renew kit. It has a cleaner and oil to restore it. I probably waited too long the first time I cleaned and renewed mine, since the engine ran much better after. I got both from Summit Racing, but the eBay link is $6 cheaper, although I didn't compare shipping costs.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 10:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Anyone ever heard of duct taping nylon webbed pantyhose over the intake? they say it's flawless,inexpensive, breathes very well and lasts forever. My wife hasn't been this angry since the great slingshot bra experiment of '09.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Anyone ever heard of duct taping nylon webbed pantyhose over the intake? they say it's flawless,inexpensive, breathes very well and lasts forever. My wife hasn't been this angry since the great slingshot bra experiment of '09.

...and I bet it really looks good too.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Jul 2012 at 10:44 am.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post

Who is the "they" cause they seem to pop up all the time as the experts in all walks of our lives from day to day. In this case "they" I can assume have never experimented with a flame or extreme heat next to nylon? Not something I would want around under my engine compartment that already has temperature concerns?

I suppose if I were in a trails race in mud and water and my filter became torn or lost I would find some sweet young thing wearing a dress and nylons and see if they would volunteer a leg wrap for the cause?

Vlefaive you really need to stay out of the WWII "Fighter" bars!

Dalai Lama

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Jul 2012 at 12:57 pm. Reason: added last line
Old 26 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I guess I'm swimming against the stream but I'm not a fan of K&N filters. In my opinion they don't filter the dirt very well. A stock filter is lightyears better at filtering and has no restriction to speak of. It's been years since I've had a stock airbox but a long time ago I tested the stock set up to see if there was a pressure drop before to after the filter and determined it was nil. That was in a turbo Cruiser so it goes double for a stocker being more than good enough in a non-turbo.

I must confess that because of the aftermarket airbox I use, I have a lifetime cone filter in there. It made by S&B and is considered a high flow piece but with better filtering ability than the K&N.

That's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok some things to make you go HMMM????

These are absolute verifiable facts about K&N filters, the company,products and product testing:

K&N has been around since 1965.
The material used is Medical grade NO other filter company uses this quality material.
K&N is made in house that means Made in USA.
They have a complete R&D department with Engine and Chassis Dynos and ISO 5011 Test Stands for testing all their products.
K&N gives a HP guarantee on many of their kits. This means if for whatever reason you do not get their claimed HP gains they will refund your money.
No one else in the Performance air filter industry offers that.
When K&N does ISO 5011 flow testing they give you the results of that testing.
NO other filter company will give there results of their ISO 5011 testing results on most of their product line?

None K&N verifiable facts

Many popular performance air filter companies companies use marketing phrases like ** ISO 5011 tested, but don't give any results of those tests. And some companies only a very few of their total performance air filter lines will show or will give the results of that ISO 5011 testing. Going to their respective website and looking for this information is very difficult to find.
Some companies show that they are used by specific racers like Circle Track or NASCAR but don't explain that was a specific target market and that contingencies were paid, sponsorship's given etc., to use and advertise the air-filters on their cars.
Very few if any offer a Performance guarantee.

None of these performance filter companies want to do a back to back Engine Dyno shootout with K & N ?

Here is one company that gives an excellent reference to what ISO-5011 is and uses an ISO 5011 Test Stand for their air filter R & D. But if you call them you you may not get test results of most all their filters?
**ISO 5011 Certified

Butt Dyno's don't work and are realistically highly inaccurate because the results vary depending on what the meal was the night before the testing performed.

So does my post makes you go HMMMM? Maybe not IDK?

Dalai Lama

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Jul 2012 at 03:00 pm. Reason: lots of clean up
Old 26 Jul 2012, 03:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

I guess it boils down to something like the old "Ford vs Chevy" battle.

S&B also does all the ISO 5011 stuff, comparisons and offers the performance, money back gaurantees, Made In USA, etc.......

Upgrade Guarantee

There's hype everywhere. I just personally go with the S&B hype a tad more. You pay, you pick.
NitroPT likes this.