Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Bleed Valve issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2012, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Bleed Valve issue

So my boyfriend was bleeding the air from the lines because my car had been overheating... well the valve popped off and we can not find it anywhere, so i call the auto parts store who says thats a dealership part only then i call the dealership who tells me that a 2002 pt cruiser does not have any type of bleed vavle or bleed screw or bleeder nipple.. so my question is how do I get a new one??
Old 25 Jul 2012, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Bleed Valve issue

I'm not one to disagree with the dealer but I'm pretty sure all PT's came with a bleed valve and as far as replacing it, any decent auto store should carry a supply of different size nipples for bleeding and adding grease to ball joints.

Somehow, take one of these pictures to the auto shop to show him what you looking for.

After you find one and put it back in so your boyfriend can finish the job, take the picture and throw it in your dealers face.

Only kidding.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Jul 2012 at 02:12 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah i told the guy he needed a new job cause we had just taken it off the car, but it doesn't have to be a chrysler part like autozone told us?
Old 25 Jul 2012, 02:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It's just a brake bleeder-

Either 3/8 28 or M9x1

See if I can narrow it down for you

And dealer part number is:

Old: 3780788
New: 5015248AB

Quote:
Old Part Number 3780788
New Part Number 5015248AB
Part Name BLEEDER BRAKE
MSRP $3.70
Always remember, Dealer= Expensive Idiots

Your local parts house will have an entire bin they'll let you try
Old 25 Jul 2012, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoChan View Post
yeah i told the guy he needed a new job cause we had just taken it off the car, but it doesn't have to be a chrysler part like autozone told us?

I sure wouldn't think so. They should have a drawer full of them or nowadays everything comes in a sealed off packet hanging on a hook.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well this is great news and I have someone on the way to pick my bf up to get the part thanks for the info.. my bf is like MacGyver so he was able to to make something showing the exact size we need to fit..
Old 25 Jul 2012, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I should do a thread on "auto parts employees"

I know that it is frustrating if the CSR can't locate it on the parts look up system and they are not sure what the parts is. They all seem to use this or similar terms and phrases to escape having to assist you further. "ITS A DEALER PART".

My personal favorite is when the part I need has nothing to do with its original intended and manufactured application and after explaining in detail this to the CSR they still will ask me "whats it going on"?
My reply looking them straight in the eye with all the sincerity and patients I can muster up at that moment.... an "elctrofragistat".

Not to worry to much, Your missing bleed valve will show up a year or so from now when you are changing a radiator hose or something else and there it will be just sitting there carefully preserved and now no longer needed!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Jul 2012 at 02:57 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 08:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

By the way, you needn't unscrew the bleeder valve while bleeding the system. You just turn it a bit counterclockwise till is squirts. I also attach a three-eights inside diameter clear hose to this valve. That way when I bleed the system, the coolant doesn't get all over my belts and ruin them with terminal squeeks. Being clear, I can see when all the bubles are gone ....

Tim