Advertisements
Still over heating

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdfrodolives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2012, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Still over heating

Water pump went bad. Done all repairs and still have overheating issues. Car temp will go up after 20 minutes of city driving. I can hear the coolant bubbling. No white smoke or coolant in the oil. Car is losing coolant somewhere. Do any one think it could be a head gasket issue or cracked head? Steer me in the right direction if you can. Thansk
Old 25 Jul 2012, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Still over heating

If it's a small leak, it can drip into the combustion chamber at such a small amount that you won't see the tailpipe white smoke. You didn't say how much your loosing. It could also drip onto the hot exhaust or something hot enough to burn it away. Try a pressure test on the coolant system.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just went for a drive. I'm starting to think my fan isn't working. In town the temp reach the halfway mark in about 5 min and wanted to go higher.I didn't hear the fan come on. I took it on the highway and the temp gauge stayed at the halfway mark. Came back into town and several stop lights later the gauge is climbing fast. No sound of the fan. Came home and I think anti freeze sprayed out of the over flow reservoir. The reservoir coolant was bubbling. Will let car cool down and check the fan with AC on. Could that be the issues?
Old 25 Jul 2012, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure could. That's one of the most prevalent reasons for overheating on the PT. Reason I didn't mention it is because you brought up the issue of loosing coolant.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The fan come on when the AC is on. How do I check the low speed of the fan? Is the only way to connect wires to the connector under the car?
Old 25 Jul 2012, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a debate if it's the low speed or high speed part of the fan that comes on when the A/C is turned on. Mine is the low speed when everything is cool and the A/C is switched on. The only way you can tell is by looking for it because it makes NO noise. If you can hear the fan, it's the high speed, very loud.

If the low comes on with yours, when the A/C is on and everything is cool, let it idle until it warms/heats up and see if the high speed (loud) comes on. If it doesn't come on, the low speed alone can't handle getting rid of the heat of the engine and there's a problem.

If the high speed comes on with the A/C, you might not have the fan problem.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 07:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

drew, I think Crewzin put a "Sticky" in this section on how to hot-wire the fan for testing. Basically, you unplug the fan connector at the bottom (or therabouts) of the fan, run an insulated wire from the ground of the battery to the center of the fan plug (that's the ground); then run another insulated wire from your positive battery post to either side of the fan plug while checking to see if the fan comes on. One side of the plug is low speed; the other side is high speed. Be careful with this procedure, as it can also be used to cook frog's legs.

Tim
Badglas likes this.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never tried that one Tim.

Old 25 Jul 2012, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
drew, I think Crewzin put a "Sticky" in this section on how to hot-wire the fan for testing. Basically, you unplug the fan connector at the bottom (or therabouts) of the fan, run an insulated wire from the ground of the battery to the center of the fan plug (that's the ground); then run another insulated wire from your positive battery post to either side of the fan plug while checking to see if the fan comes on. One side of the plug is low speed; the other side is high speed. Be careful with this procedure, as it can also be used to cook frog's legs.

Tim
I agree with the test as outlined Tim, but would add one suggestion. Make sure the test wire for the B+ is fused. I would suggest a 20 amp fuse. It makes cooking frogs legs less likely.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)