PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Misfiring & bucking SOLVED!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2012, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Misfiring & bucking SOLVED!

Hey guys! I purchased a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited with a five speed trans. I got it from a used car lot for what I thought was a fairly good deal. The car is clean inside and out and I knew to check to see if the timing belt had been changed or not because of a Neon that left me stranded in the past. The man at the lot told me that the previous owner recently had the belt changed along with various other components, and a peek inside the timing cover confirmed that the belt did in fact look new, along with other items under the hood. However, there was one glitch that kicked my butt trying to figure out.

The car ran great the first couple of days after I bought it, but then it started bucking and misfiring randomly as I drove. I took it back home thinking it must be a bad plug or plug wire. I changed them and also purchased a new coil pack as well, but it didn’t solve the problem. Next I checked for a code using the ignition switch on/off thing but it only showed one code and it was for the downstream o2 sensor, but I was pretty sure it probably wasn’t causing the problem I was having. As I continued troubleshooting I noticed that the camshaft position sensor had been changed and thought perhaps it was an aftermarket replacement.

I change it out with an OEM but still no luck. It still misfired at random times while driving! I noticed that the speedometer was extremely erratic when the misfires started, and I decided to try a new vehicle speed sensor (VSS) even though I wasn’t getting a code for it. Being an old school mechanic I didn’t really think that it had anything to do with the ignition system and I was probably just wasting my time. As it turns out, that actually solved the problem. The car runs and drives smooth with no misfires and no bucking.

I hope this saves someone the headaches that I went through trying to track this problem down.

Last edited by PT_Mopar; 25 Jul 2012 at 09:04 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 10:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Misfiring & bucking SOLVED!

Interesting!
Old 26 Jul 2012, 02:23 am
Senior Cruiser

and this sensor is located where?
pluminator likes this.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 26 Jul 2012, 03:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
and this sensor is located where?
YEAH WHAT HE SAID!

found it on autozone for the 03 2.4 non turbo. CHEAP :-D question is after i buy it. where does it go?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...29635_0_0_3498

Last edited by pluminator; 26 Jul 2012 at 03:12 am.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 03:17 am
Senior Cruiser

FOUND IT!!!!!111!!!!!!

sorry for the 1's ....and caps. Im excited haha

| Repair Guides | Component Locations | Vehicle Speed Sensor | AutoZone.com
podo2000 likes this.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 04:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Could it have been the transmission shifting erratically? I thought the VSS controlled the transmission shifting points
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for posting the link to autozone, pluminator. Yes, this is how I actually found the sensor. There is a diagram showing where it is when you look up the part at autozone.com.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There is a "transmission speed sensor" located under the battery tray, and at first I thought it was the vehicle speed sensor until I looked up the VSS on the autozone website and saw the drawing of where it was actually located. During the time is was troubleshooting I ran across a site that showed where the transmission speed sensor was. Where is the PT Cruiser Transmission Speed Sensor located and - JustAnswer I didn't replace that one, though. I'm not sure if these are located in the same place on automatic trannies;my PT is a five speed. I guess I could look on my wife's '99 Neon since it is an automatic and also has the 2.4L.
Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by PT_Mopar; 26 Jul 2012 at 08:00 pm.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 11:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Mopar View Post
There is a "transmission speed sensor" located under the battery tray, and at first I thought it was the vehicle speed sensor until I looked up the VSS on the autozone website and saw the drawing of where it was actually located. During the time is was troubleshooting I ran across a site that showed where the transmission speed sensor was. Where is the PT Cruiser Transmission Speed Sensor located and - JustAnswer I didn't replace that one, though. I'm not sure if these are located in the same place on automatic trannies;my PT is a five speed. I guess I could look on my wife's '99 Neon since it is an automatic and also has the 2.4L.
Sorry for the double post.
Question. How do you remove the battery tray? I always just approach from underneath, but i cant find the retaining bolts for it.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 11:04 am
Regular Cruiser

There are four or five bolts in the bottom of the battery tray. You also need to unhook the plug on the bottom of the battery tray to completely remove it.

Bob