PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2009 pt cruiser vibrates at idle... ive read all the posts. im stumped. help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2012, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2009 pt cruiser vibrates at idle... ive read all the posts. im stumped. help!

ok so im stumped.

i have 2009 non-turbo 2.4.

i have read all the threads on this forum regarding this issue and it seems that have some of one problem and some of another. so here it is... i will try to be thorough in my explanation... but i am no expert so bare with me!

when i start the car it idles perfectly for about 30 seconds at about 800 to 900 rpms. then it bogs down and begins to idle at about 600 rpms. my ac blows ice cold at idle and the radiator fan functions normally. for the last 6 months i've been trying to get to the bottom of this.

upon my first inspection my torque struts were shot and needed replacement. had them replaced. still a vibration.

next i had new spark plugs put in.
still a vibration.

so just for kicks i checked the torque struts myself.
they were torqued at 40 ft lbs!!! i tightened them.

next i fired my mechanic and decided to devote what free time i had into fixing this.

new pcv valve. still a vibration.

next i cleaned my idle air control motor. still a vibration. so i replaced it. still a vibration.

tested my map sensor. functions like it should.

so here i am. stumped.

i have a new air filter in as well.

today i was messing around with it and noticed if i put the car in neutral the vibration gets dramatically better.

i read somewhere that a faulty transmission mount could be the culprit. is there any truth to this?

maybe my battery is going?
i dunno...

let me know what you think.

thanks

justin
Old 18 Nov 2012, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2009 pt cruiser vibrates at idle... ive read all the posts. im stumped. help!

If your torque struts aren't adjusted correctly, you will get some vibration. I have an 05 touring edition that has the same problem and the only thing I think it may be is the left engine mount. It's not hard to change but, it cost 100 bucks and I don't want to change it if it's not bad. I don't know how to tell if it's bad though.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 11:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2009 pt cruiser vibrates at idle... ive read all the posts. im stumped. help!

Did you replace the plug wires too?
Old 20 Nov 2012, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When you put it in neutral, doesn't the RPM go up?
I think 600 RPM is too low - should be 700 - 750, higher with air on.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As QSD said, idle should go up when in Neutral, also didn't quite understand: is the idle rough and low when at idle WITH the A/C on or does it smooth out at idle when the A/C is off. The compressor puts a lot of strain on the engine and the computer compensates for that strain and raises the idle to keep things smooth. Is it doing that?
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnmlls View Post
when i start the car it idles perfectly for about 30 seconds at about 800 to 900 rpms. then it bogs down and begins to idle at about 600 rpms.
You have a half of a minute to get out of the driver's seat and walk around to the front and observe the engine compartment. Try to notice what else happens at the exact time that the idle lugs down. In particular watch the A/C compressor to see or hear if that's when the compressor clutch kicks in. I'm not an A/C expert but I believe there is a sensor somewhere that signals the idle speed to increase to compensate for the A/C drag. If you need to do the observation in gear, get someone to start the car and hold the brake pedal while you watch under the hood.

Do this with the engine cold and again warmed up. Do it with the A/C on and then off, in gear and in neutral. Try to pin down exactly what happens, when. What makes it better or worse. I'm leaning more towards A/C or fan events than bushings or motor mounts because of your comment that it is fine for 30 seconds and then the idle speed drops and the engine shakes.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

By any chance did you replace your CV axles prior to the vibration. My Subaru Outback has the same issue. Aftermarket axles are known to create vibrations on the Subaru, it may be the same for the cruiser.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

He's saying the problem exists at idle, without the car moving. Unless he's hitting cruise control and climbing onto the front of the car at speed, I doubt he's complaining about it vibrating while moving.

My vote goes to plug wires or coil. A recent case of mine was a faulty coil that was not completely failed, but was delivering a weak spark to a single cylinder, and resulted in quite a bit of vibration at idle, but did NOT throw a code or illuminate the CEL whatsoever. Check these, report back.

Old 20 Nov 2012, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Surprisingly enough, the problem with my Subaru is at idle. The consensus on the Subaru forum is that aftermarket CV axles are the cause. Many persons have swapped back to OEM and the vibration went away. The fact that the vibration improves when the car is placed in neutral suggests that it could be an issue with the driveline.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed my transmission mount and it made all the difference. Just be careful it's easy to crossthread the mounting bolts. Also you may have to readjust torque struts after your done with tranny mount.