Brake problem

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swanjack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2012, 06:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Brake problem

Hi Guys,

After driving for about an hour and a half today, I felt that something was just not right in that it felt like I was driving with the brakes on. So I pulled over and found smoke coming from the left hand side front wheel, and the rim was seriously hot. There was a real foul smell as well, which I assumed to be burning brake pads . I jacked the car up and sure enough the wheel would not turn, the pads had bound to the rotor. I let the car cool down for about 20 mins, and the pads released the wheel and I managed to drive home, using the hand brake and minimal brake pedal.

When I replaced the pads and rotors about 200 miles ago ,I had real difficulty in pushing the calipers back in, but they went back all the same. The caliper bolt pins seemed to be okay.

So could I have a sticking caliper, or could the rubber brake line be breaking down, or could there be anything else??

Thanks for any advice.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 08:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Brake problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
I could have a sticking caliper, or could have the rubber brake line breaking down,
You're correct; you can re-man caliper yourself for like $5
Old 26 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would suggest replacing the caliper, the rotor *especially if there was smoke* also the Brake hose leading into the caliper.

What happens when a caliper or rotor gets too hot is it will actually boil the fluid inside of the intake line, and bubble the rubber, thus blocking the flow of fluid. Mix that with a stuck caliper.......even if you replace the caliper alone you will have a failed brake on that side. :-)
Old 27 Jul 2012, 01:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had this happen to both front calipers at different times. I got rebuilt calipers from the parts store and all was well, along with bleeding the brakes as the fluid had boiled.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 27 Jul 2012, 02:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guy's. Have bought a kit to do both front calipers and new brake hoses for both sides. Got them from Rockauto. Should get them in 5 days as I'm in the UK. Even with shipping, its 60% cheaper than buying from my local dealer .
rcktpwrd likes this.