PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's the minimum fuel pressure for car to run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2012, 10:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Default What's the minimum fuel pressure for car to run?

Well, never have found out what is making my daughters 04 Cruiser stall. Have changed crank and cam sensor, plugs and wire and changed water pump and timing belt. It will just stall out of the blue O2 codes come on and then it will stall almost immediately. The only thing the mechanic could come up with is the fuel pressure fluctuates about 5 pounds. We just moved and was talking to a new neighbor that runs a machine shop and repairs cars also. He said they had a Chevy truck in that was stalling, he said the fuel pump was putting out what he thought was adequate pressure. But latter found out that there is a minimum for the engine to run.

Does anyone know what the minimum is for a Cruiser to run. I know that the pump puts out 58 psi, but what's the lowest it will run at?

Bob
Old 27 Jul 2012, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's the minimum fuel pressure for car to run?

Bob not sure what you are meaning? If you are @5-35psi total @ idle that is to low for good engine operation.
Fuel injectors universally need at least 39psi @ idle for best idle speed operation and should at least see aprox. +10psi.+/-5psi min. cruise rpm.
For most diagnostic checks of an EFI engine.
optimal psi NA 43psi+/10psi. Turbo or Super Charged 50psi+/10psi

There is also the flow rate which should be considered as well.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Jul 2012 at 11:53 am. Reason: spacing
Old 27 Jul 2012, 11:57 am
Regular Cruiser

NitroPT,

I've had three people say it was fuel related and the mechanic said he wouldn't rule out the fuel pump. I'm going to check with ORielley's to see if they have a fuel pressure tester that I can hook up while I drive it to see what's going on with it. When it quits, I know that the fuel pump comes on and then pressures up and then quits like normal. The mechanic said to pull the line and see if it's actually pumping gas when it quits and it does. But, once it quits it usually has to set a while before it will start. The last time it quit I was there and it started right back up, but was very rough running and took a couple minutes to even out.

Bob
Old 27 Jul 2012, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek View Post
NitroPT,

I've had three people say it was fuel related and the mechanic said he wouldn't rule out the fuel pump. I'm going to check with ORielley's to see if they have a fuel pressure tester that I can hook up while I drive it to see what's going on with it. When it quits, I know that the fuel pump comes on and then pressures up and then quits like normal. **The mechanic said to pull the line and see if it's actually pumping gas when it quits and it does. But, once it quits it usually has to set a while before it will start. The last time it quit I was there and it started right back up, but was very rough running and took a couple minutes to even out.

Bob
The number of people working on this issue means nothing if so many could not solve the problem!
And you say a mechanic is encluded with the other 3?
Anyway...............

Internet diagnosis: **it does not sound like a faulty fuel pump. However without at least checking line pressure it is only a guess on my part based on what you have posted so far.
BTW pulling the live pressurized fuel line without prior experience in doing a test like this really is not the safest method of testing an active fuel flow.

Your description of having to sit for a period of time relates to a cooling process. An electrical component such as a relay may be something to check out. Many relays are universal and can be temporarily swapped out for testing in another circuit. Be sure not to go to a higher number relay in the circuit you are testing.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Jul 2012 at 01:49 pm. Reason: 1234
Old 27 Jul 2012, 01:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

When I pulled the fuel line right after it quit I thought it would be pressurized from past experiences with other cars, but it was not. Fuel just dribbled out when I disconnected it. I then put the hose in a gas can and had my daughter turn the key on. Gas pumped out in force. I'm wondering it if could be related to the regulator.

I originally thought it was heat related, but when it started doing it two blocks from our house I ruled that out. It had sat at the least three hours each time then did it.

Bob

Last edited by unioncreek; 27 Jul 2012 at 02:00 pm.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 04:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

If your injectors are clogged it could very much seem like a pump or filter issue, your getting good pressure until you get to the injectors, then they are weakly spraying the fuel into the combustion chamber. Have you tried replacing them? Or running a bottle of lucas through every gas tank?