PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil light issue...help a newbie girl out!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2012, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil light issue...help a newbie girl out!

I found this forum a few months ago so I could change my spark plugs & wires without having to pay a mechanic for it. The person(s) who had posted the detailed instructions with pictures are WONDERFUL!!!

I have a 2003 Limited Ed. Cruiser. I have an issue with my oil light coming on for "no reason".
It only comes on when I start the car and if I shut it off and start it back up the light will go out.

My oil level is just fine; I check it often. No oil leaks and I have noticed no other issues. It is just this light.

My mechanic's understanding (and mine) is that the "dummy" light would come on if there is an oil pressure issue not an oil level issue.

If there truly was an oil pressure issue, wouldn't the light stay on?

In addition, sometimes the light will decide to not stay on for a few days.

Confusing.

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil light issue...help a newbie girl out!

to answer your question ---Change your Oil presure sensor
this is a common issue with the PTs
its not a expensive part and it is a little more of a pain than plugs and wires btu not a lot
i do not belive it requires any special tools
I have never had to change mine but many have and im sure there is a sticky on HOW TO replace the oil sensor
its not a pressure issue with your PT juts the sensor
Old 27 Jul 2012, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Replace the sensor, these are prone for this type behavior. I believe that a real problem would show up when car is at full temperature. Not cold.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2012, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to you both!

I'll look for a sticky/instructions on how to do that and hopefully get it done this weekend.
Old 27 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I also have a 2003 Limited PT and I had the same problem. When you're at idle, your oil pressure is at its lowest, so problems are more likely to show up at that time.

As the other posters mentioned it's probably the oil-sending unit. I didn't replace it myself, since I decided its location required a lift to get way in there and do the job from under the car. The dealer wanted $85.00, parts and labor, so I let him do the job. You really need ape arms to get in there and unhook the connection, and a very long extension to unscrew and screw in the new oil-sending unit.

I've heard that some Cruisers have done the job from above, but that doesn't seem nearly as easy as, say, changing our plugs.

Make sure you get an OEM replacement unit. I know PT oil-sending units have a way of blowing it, but aftermarket parts of this nature have an even worse reputation.

Tim
Old 27 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's one item I definitely would avoid OEM. Too many reports on that item. On all cars in general I've had no issues with aftermarket oil senders.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2012, 03:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Agree with everyone above. OPS. i failed an inspection because of it once, they said i had no oil........i did. Just make sure that your valve cover gasket is sealed nice and tight, if the sensor bumps up the oil pressure and its not........youll spring a leak :-D
Old 27 Jul 2012, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Agree with everyone above. OPS. i failed an inspection because of it once, they said i had no oil........i did. Just make sure that your valve cover gasket is sealed nice and tight, if the sensor bumps up the oil pressure and its not........youll spring a leak :-D
Actually the sensor doesn't control oil pressure, only reads it. Weather it reads it right or wrong, the oil pressure is the same regardless.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jul 2012, 03:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Actually the sensor doesn't control oil pressure, only reads it. Weather it reads it right or wrong, the oil pressure is the same regardless.
im sorry. i have more blood in my caffeine system than im used to, i mixed my parts up :-p
Old 27 Jul 2012, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
im sorry. i have more blood in my caffeine system than im used to, i mixed my parts up :-p
We all get things turned around ounce and awhile.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com