Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
drivetrain problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default drivetrain problems

hey guys!, I had no clue this forum existed until now! my names joe nice to see a bunch of pt cruisers on the net.
ok, I am having drivetrain problems.

if I step on the brake and the gas, it makes a loud squealing noise. after doing some research, I think its the "needle bearings" inside the torque converter.

sometimes, when the car is in drive, it feels like its in neutral. no power at all, it just revs up.

I also found some VERY tiny metal fragments on the magnet inside the transmission. i know this is normal, but it has filled the magnet up. no chunks, just very fine pieces, so fine that when I touch it, its like extremely fine mud. the pieces of metal are smaller than dirt particals. MUCH smaller than sand particles.

so here are my questions
whats wrong with my drivetrain. (i know torque converter is bad, but is there anything else?) I took the transmission out already and it was hard for me, so i dont want to be taking it out again.

the car goes down the road and will hit 60mph, but i have felt nervous leaving too far away from my garage. gear shifting seems to be ok.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: drivetrain problems

First you didn't tell us much about your PT. Since you have it out and apart, you may as well do a rebuild kit. Inspect for ware and cracks on the clutch drums. The stuff you see on the magnet is normal if you have a lot of miles and its never been into.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: drivetrain problems

Joe....
The Pt torque converter has been a known problem. The faster you fix, the less damage to the transmission will be. Once the metal starts floating around, the transmission will grenade itself... I had a pt with a failure to a bearing in the torque converter. I caught it in time and minimal cost was involved. Good luck!