Advertisements
HELP PLEASE

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By markroach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2012, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP PLEASE

Hope I put this in the right place. I'm new here. Ok so i never thought of owning a pt cruiser but was at an auction trying to be an a$$ and bid this other guy up and I accidently won it. Anyhow now I really like this car its a 2.4l 5-speed non turbo base. Cars an 04 and still looks and smells like new. It runs great and in the 4 months I have had it there has been no issues. So I give this nice little pt to my wife as her second car, she loves it drives it to work today for the first time no problem. On the way home she calls me, its running and driving fine but the air bag lights on, the windows dont roll down, the radio and a/c dont work, windshield wipers signals lights nothing electrical accept the engine is working. She pulls into the gas station cuts it off calls me, gets a drink comes outside starts it again and everything works fine again no problems no dash lights. Anyone heard of this, any ideas? The funniest part of the whole thing is she has a 08 patriot with the cvt thats going all haywire with electrical issues thats why I gave her the cruiser lol. Any help is appriciated...
Old 28 Jul 2012, 03:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: HELP PLEASE

Take it to like.meineke or midas and have them do the free hour diagnostic, Im willing to put most of my eggs in the basket on a fusable link or one of the larger fuses in the engine panel are running at a low voltage
Old 28 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Will try, however I ran a scan on it and no codes were present. The computer logged no faults. very weird...
Old 28 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not sure if you are having a similar problem as I did or not .... mine turned out to be corroded electrical connections (ground strap from battery, etc.) which was bad enough it put my Cruiser into limp mode .... yet no codes showed up. (?)

Cleaned up all the major electrical connections and has been fine since.

Mark.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 01:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

My guess would be electrical. Could even be a battery going bad but I would start with all the battery connections.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Ray. The Battery or battery clamps and connections.

It was the Air-bag light that got my attention. When mine stayed on, I thought it was a clock-spring issue. Fortunately, the battery went completely dead the next morning. I replaced it and all has been fine (electrically) since.

Tim
Old 28 Jul 2012, 06:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with the last two replies... These cruisers are highly dependent on a strong battery (not just an adequate one. After start, the test circuits require a strong amp supply (also strong voltage). Erroneous results will occur. Alternator output is inadequate (for amps). Like many others, I have had strange lights occur during startups until a new battery was installed. One indication would be a slower than normal starter rotation... That would give you an indication of an impending problem, or, just go to your local Chrysler dealer. Most of them will do the check for free. At least here in IE.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for their timely replies. The battery was carrodded a bit so I replaced the battery and cleaned all connections. Wife said it happened again. I then drove it all day yesterday and today with no issues. Asked her to show me the problem because I could not duplicate it. Turns out that the ignition switch is querky, Because she was not firmilliar with it (stick shift style with button) the key would work when not on the correct cycle. She could even take out the key and it would all come on ant work. So in the end the issue was a faulty ignition switch and operator error. Thanks again for everything...
Old 29 Jul 2012, 07:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Glad you were able to find fix your problem in a short time!