PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant over flow issues

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2012, 03:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant over flow issues

Today I drove my car in town for 30 minutes to see if it would over heat. The temp gauge never went pass half way mark. The fan come on and with and without the AC on. I let it idle for 10 minutes and still wouldn't overheat. When I turn the car off the overflow tank coolant was boiling over. Coolant sprayed out of the over flow bottle. Why is this happening? How do I fix this issue. Any help would be nice. Thanks
Old 28 Jul 2012, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant over flow issues

Need the rest of the story that tells us why you were checking for over heating.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Jul 2012, 05:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

It was probably just over filled and when you shut the car down it pushed out the excess. But, we really need to hear everything that you have done and why.

Bob
Old 28 Jul 2012, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the car was overheating the water pump was the villain. After changing the water pump also had faulty radiator fan. That was changed as well. The first day after the water pump change car drove fine didn't overheat. Day 2 car overheated after 20 minutes. I notice the fan wasn't coming on while driving in town. I check the low and high speed on the fan. Fan is fine. Change the low temp fan relay and the fan works fine. Drove the car only in town trying to see if it would over heat but didn't. After 20 plus minutes of city driving I parked it in the driveway and let it run for another 10 minutes at idle. The gauge never went pass the halfway mark. Turn car off and hear bubbling noise open the hood and the overflow reservoir was bubbling. The excess coolant spilled out on the back of the engine. Reading some post on here the people think it can be the head gasket. Could it just have too much coolant in the reservoir?
Old 28 Jul 2012, 08:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I would guess it probably had too much in and just blew out what it couldn't hold. I would just watch it and see what happens when you drive it again.

Bob
Old 28 Jul 2012, 08:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Or ... you might just need to burp that baby.

Tim
Old 28 Jul 2012, 09:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek View Post
I would guess it probably had too much in and just blew out what it couldn't hold. I would just watch it and see what happens when you drive it again.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Or ... you might just need to burp that baby.

Tim
Like above would make sure it's bled and keep an eye on the cold and hot level. Caps go bad also.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Jul 2012, 04:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

The radiator cap have been changed out. Is there directions on here on how to bleed the the coolant system? I know the valve is under the refill neck. Wasn't sure of the exact steps. I know it didn't do this before.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 08:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

drew, get a three-foot long length of three-eights inside diameter clear plastic tubing from the auto store. You will attach this later on to the nipple of the bleeder screw so when you bleed the system, you don't get coolant all over your belts and make them squeek forever and ever, afterward. Get a catch can, too and place it under the engine--just under the bleeder bolt.

Turn your heater control knob all the way to its warmest setting (you want your heater core bled, too).

Take off your radiator cap.

Fill the thermostat cover housing (the black pipe that your radiator cap screwed to) all the way up with a 50/50 solution of HOAT antifreeze and distilled water. I pre-mix these two items in another container that I mark with a skull and crossbones.

Reach down and unscrew your bleeder valve--just enough so that when you attach the clear hose to it, you can easily unscrew it a bit more.

Attach the clear hose to the bleeder valve nipple. Route the other end of the hose to the catch can you placed under the engine.

Turn the bleeder screw more so that you get a nice flow of coolant (and bubbles) running through the clear hose. Have more coolant mixture ready and keep filling up your thermostat housing cover to the neck.

When you see no more bubbles--just coolant--tighten the bleeder screw till it just stops. Pull off the hose. Then tighten the bleeder all the way. Just snug it in--and a little bit more. Don't crank on it.

Top off the thermostat housing cover with the coolant from the catch can--assuming it's nice and clean. Fill your reservoir to FULL HOT.

Take the PT for a ride. Let it cool and top off your reservoir when everything is cool again--if necessary.

I hope this helps you.

P.S. Save that clear hose for next time.

Tim

Go take a ride.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 08:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will bleed the system later today. All of you guys have been very helpful in assisting me on my quest to get my cruiser running good. Thanks a lot. Awesome