PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Toubleshooting P1391 Wire Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2012, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Toubleshooting P1391 Wire Problem

Hey fellow PT Owners,

Well I have a 2002 Limited PT Cruiser Non Turbo 2.4L with 149,000. 2 weeks ago my pt started stumbling and displayed the check in light right after. After doing the "key Dance" it showed me a P1391 code. After having a oil leak problem and oil pressure light come on every once in a while I found out the week prior that there was oil on my timing belt. Being afraid that the timing belt was about to come off i towed the car to my local mechanic to have the crankshaft seals and timing belt replaced. This fixed the oil leak and pressure problem, but was not the cause of the code or the engine stumbling. About two years ago i had the engine redone due to blowing my head gasket, but afterwards i had a similar pair of codes (P0340 & P1391). After replacing the sensors and checking the wires, it ended up being the PCM. Now i have a similar problem so i replaced both sensors and the PCM since it is under warranty. I know it's important to note that both sensors were replaced with aftermarket sensors from Oreileys, but hopefully this will help in troubleshooting the problem. Now that both sensors and computer have been replaced i am still having the same problem, which is my vehicle drives a good distance when the engine is cold, but then stumbles *limp mode" or cuts off when it warms up (after about 10 minutes driving). Once it cuts out or stalls, it will start up again and run for a minute or 2 then it will shut off again. This was pretty consistent, but i did notice that i could go under the hood after starting it and wiggle the wire harness back and forth and it would turn off sooner. Which leads me to believe its a short somewhere, but it does not cut off when cold even if i move the wire harness. So my question is what would be the best way to trouble shoot the wires and sensors using a multimeter. I have the wire diagrams and PCM pin diagrams, so i'm trying to figure out what voltage or resistance readings i should be looking for to troubleshoot. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated and once i get more money i will be sure to replace both sensors with dealer parts, but right now this was the best i could do for now.
Thanks again for the help in advance,
Palomo
Old 28 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Toubleshooting P1391 Wire Problem

If you have wiring diagram and ohmmeter, you'll be able to do a continuity check while wiggling each wire-

Not sure if it'd be easier to replace wire segment (go to JY and pull the same color/tracer from an old Neon/300/etc) or try to find actual break and splice

Tags
camshaft position sensor, crankshaft sensor, p1391, pcm, wiring