PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A p300 and p303 code question

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2012, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A p300 and p303 code question

I have a distinct miss at idle and when I get on the gas. Can I assume it is the wires and plugs with these codes. If it could be the coil also, should I do all three since it is such a hasle to get to the plugs, wires, and coil. I have a imaculate 2003 with 35,000 on it , I just bought for $5000. showroom fresh, still smells new.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A p300 and p303 code question

The coil is a good piece of equipment. We very rarely here of one going bad. Saying that, usually plugs and wires very rarely fix a mis-fire code although if it's been awhile since the plugs and wires were changed, it very well could be your answer. Sometimes the code comes from a small vacuum leak in the upper manifold at one of the seems or one of the rubber "O" rings between the upper and lower intake, other times it turns out to be something serious internally.

Might as well start easy and put new plugs and wires. It's really not hard to do and since you don't have the EGR pipe in the back, it's almost a piece of cake. Keep the same coil. If it does go bad, more than one cylinder is affected as the coil works two cylinders at a time.
OurPTGT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I did a little more research and saw a half dozen messages talking about a miss when the air is on, so I went outside ,started up the car, turned off the air and thats the case .90% of the miss has disapeared. This has been a common problem in PT Cruiser, so has there been a salution found. Does my 300 and 303 code still make sense, any advice is welcome.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

By "air" you mean the A/C ???? That shouldn't have anything to do with a mis-fire code, not sure where you found that. It can cause rough running, overheating, bad idle but never heard of the A/C cause a mis-fire. I'll bow out now and let others chime in.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 12:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Google Rough idle when air is on pt cruisers
Old 30 Jul 2012, 04:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, I don't need to Google anything. I've been reading about rough idle for 10 years on this forum and not once have I ever seen where the A/C caused the mis-fire code (especially a single cylinder P0303) to come on.

Anyway, glad you found the answer to your problem why the mis-fire code came on. All you have to do now is turn the A/C off.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Jul 2012 at 04:42 am.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbander View Post
Google Rough idle when air is on pt cruisers
If you have a mis-fire then the load of the ac on the engine will make it more pronounced but you still have the same problem. If It were me I would listen carefully to CREWZIN. He has seen it all on these PT on this site. And most of what you see on Google about PTs came out of here and has been regurgitated as there own. Just a thought?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Jul 2012, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Didn't mean to rufle your feathers , I'm gratefull for the advice . Simple fact you yourself have responded to rough Idle with the air on in this forum before . You suggesting that it might not be the plugs and wires, that is why I looked deeper and there are many comments to be found on the internet that says that thier car is missing while their air is on.
I've found in life that there is always things to be learned on any subject, sometimes there are glowing words of wisdom from the most unlikely places.
This car is new to me and there is lots for me to lurn about it but I'll never know it all.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well like said the AC will put a strain on the motor if it already has a issue then it will become more pronunced
Like Crezwin said the ac is not actually the cause

I get the same think i have changed injectors wires plugs and I still get the same thing
Old 30 Jul 2012, 06:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'd bet that 90% of the "misfires while the A/C is on" is really a chugging or stuttering of the engine at idle while the A/C is on. All of which often indicates a radiator fan problem.

Your codes, however, are another matter.

P0300 (multiple misfire detected).

P0303 (Cylinder #3 misfire detected.

Seems like plugs and wires are the first place to start. The coil, according to much lore on this forum, rarely goes bad.

Tim

Tags
2003 codes miss