PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Who's good at Jigsaw puzzles? Warning! Long Post!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2012, 04:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Who's good at Jigsaw puzzles? Warning! Long Post!

Hey guys,

As I'm new here, here's a little background...

To cut a long story short, I was handed this car in bits. The local dealership after being asked to identify a MIL light issue, decided to go from replacing the spark plugs to tearing the engine apart allegedly for a reported misfire code, and claimed that it was running on 3 Cylinders. Completely missing out leads, injectors and other more traditional diagnostics. The dealership had been asked to identify the issue, provide the computer print out and for a quote, which they failed to provide, before tearing the car apart.

Incidentally the car was doing around 150KM daily and drove into their workshop without missing a beat, just the MIL light was on. In any case, the owner was offered $500 for it by the workshop manager stating that one of his mechanics was looking for a project/ parts. The quote was over $5000 for both the engine repair and about half of the rest of the car by the looks of the list This was about 7 months ago and when I heard about what was going on, I told the owner on the phone to tell the dealership to put the car back together as they had not done what was asked of them. The dealer refused and wanted an additional $800 on top of the $500 they had already charged her for replacing the spark plugs and tearing the engine apart. So I told the owner to have the parts put inside the car and the car towed home.

So that's the story with the car...here's a little about me...

I'm Scottish, currently in Canada on holiday and staying with friends. I have been working on cars and bikes for 30+ years for enjoyment rather than professionally, and enjoy a challenge. So to keep busy whilst I'm here, I decided to put this old Cruiser back together again. With the help of this forum and Crewzin's posts in particular, I have pretty much achieved that.
I don't think I have seen anything quite as poor on a modern vehicle as the engine mounting system. I would publicly flog the designer

OK so here's where I'm at with it all...

The mechanic that stripped the head off decided to dump it in the boot(trunk) on top of an old head bolt, gouging the head right on the fire ring of No. 2 cylinder, immediately rendering the head useless without a resurface.
This was done at a machine shop in Winnipeg and looked as rough as a badgers rear end when it came back, so much for 30-50 RA! I'm hoping that the MLS gasket holds it, if not it will be a strip down again. I also asked them to strip the valves out, clean em up and replace the stem seals. The head bolts were replaced as were all the top end gaskets and seals. I have also replaced the water pump, idler and tensioner and fitted a new timing belt. The engine is now all back together and will be test fired later today after I replace the serp and alternator belts.

So this all brings me to a question about two items I have left over...
First thing is an 18mm Bolt that the mechanic removed from somewhere, but I have been unable to identify from where, and a rubber seat of some sort that I found lying on top of the steering rack. I have included some photos here in the hope that someone has an idea of where they go. The rubber I'm not too worried about, but this bolt looks heavy enough to be either an engine mount or suspension etc and I don't fancy either falling off going down the number 1 at 120 The bolt dimensions are M12 * 45mm with an 18mm head on it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post, and for any help you can offer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (18.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (18.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Image3.jpg (20.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Image4.jpg (18.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Who's good at Jigsaw puzzles? Warning! Long Post!

Don't they have small claims courts in Canada? First off, I'd sue the shop that did this.

Anyway, I don't recognize the rubber. The bolt might be a a motor strut mounting bolt. I can't really tell from the picture, though.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 30 Jul 2012, 09:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Who's good at Jigsaw puzzles? Warning! Long Post!

Hi Tim, thanks for the response, I'm hopeful that someone here has seen or knows where that bolt goes, or can at least suggest locations for me to check on the car given it's size. I have scoured every inch under the bonnet(hood) and underneath the car with a hand lamp and can't for the life of me see where this could have come from, especially as they only got as far as pulling the head off etc. For all I know this could have just been a bolt lying on the floor and they tossed it into the tub when tidying up! This is my first ever time working on a PT Cruiser, although I always loved the retro 40's look. They do however, come with their challenges...esp that completely insane engine mount design

I am still trying to convince the owner that she should investigate taking legal action against the dealership, but it's likely a futile exercise now considering the amount of time that has passed since they towed the car home. The car has lay in bits for nearly 8 months now, and the owner had no option but to purchase another car so she can get to work etc. I think it's likely that they would just say that they were resolved of any liability after the vehicle left their workshop and as I'm neither a "Qualified" or "Licensed" mechanic here that my opinion doesn't count for anything. Despite my experience of 30+ years. What really pi$$es me off though is that they thought that they could get away with this because my friend, the owner, was a "dumb" woman, or at least it seems that way to me, and they very nearly did, she was so distraught at the time that she was going to let them keep the car and trade it for one off their lot. This was a main Chrysler Dealership btw, not some backyard mechanic, or some small independent place. Says a lot for their ethics if you ask me.

The story only gets worse anyway, because when they stripped down the top end, they didn't oil the cams and wrap em in plastic, they just gave em a wipe and tossed em into a cardboard box, along with all the followers, caps and hydraulic lifters. Absolutely nothing was marked for position. They discarded all the exhaust bolts, or just didn't return them along with all the screws for the splash guards etc. They removed various bolts from the front radiator bracket and never put them back and who knows what else I haven't spotted yet. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the car was in first class order either, there is/ was a fair bit of wear and tear on it, especially on the suspension and engine mounts, but I just can't see why they would have done half the things they did. they even quoted for replacing the steering rack!

So anyway, as promised here's the update...

I fired the old gal up today and let her warm up to temp. After the initial cooling fan cycle had run a couple of times, I gave her some beans. The engine runs as sweet now as it did when I drove the car when I was here last year and takes the throttle well. However on account of me only being able to identify about 5 or 6 obvious cam follower positions with the rest being a loto and juggling act, the top end sounds like a bag of spanners with a fair bit of lash noise. I'm not really wanting to spend any more money replacing all the followers and the cams, or more money on tools, as I have already had to build a complete toolkit here that rivals the one that I have at home, so I guess it'll need to do. The old gal lives to fight another day, so I guess I'll need to be happy with that!

All I need to do now is clean up/ service the brakes and get the whole car cleaned up. The smell of old engine oil etc is atrocious with the engine parts being stored inside it all this time.

As for the Dealership, I know what I would like to do to em
Old 31 Jul 2012, 09:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Spanner, I would still have your friend contact the small claims court in your area and see if 8 months is a problem, or not. All your work will amount to little is one of "spanners" falls out of the bag while your friend is out driving late at night.

Many PT's have engine mounting and front end wear. That does not mean the car was in bad shape when first brought to the dealer. It just means it needed new motor struts and some front-end work.

I really believe your friend has a case. Here in California we have a $5000.00 limit when sueing in small claims court.

Check out what Canada can do.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 31 Jul 2012, 09:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do you have e-mail and can it swallow a 70MB attachment? if so I can send FSM to you and you can hunt for all the fasteners, it will give you all the bolt sizes for everything so you can match up what was taken apart and double check.
Busted_PT likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 31 Jul 2012, 09:53 pm
Banned

I am still trying to figure out what a Mother in Law Light is
Old 31 Jul 2012, 10:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
It is the one you put a piece of black electrical tape over and ignore

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 31 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
MIL-Malfunction Indicator Lamp, although it's a headache when either come on
Old 31 Jul 2012, 11:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Do you have e-mail and can it swallow a 70MB attachment? if so I can send FSM to you and you can hunt for all the fasteners, it will give you all the bolt sizes for everything so you can match up what was taken apart and double check.
My email account has a limit of 10MB total attachments, per email I'm afraid. I did manage to find a copy of a manual earlier today on the web and some microfiche for it, but so far I still haven't identified where the bolt or the rubber goes

I put some engine flush in last night, just in case there's any crap left over from the build, and took it for a 5 mile test run and then did an oil and filter change. Of course on the test run, I duly discover that the front passenger side wheel bearing is humming away like a string quartet. I have read a couple of threads here on front hub/ bearing replacement, and I don't fancy it much, plus I don't have a press, and while pretty confident that I could get the old hub apart and the bearing out, I'm not so confident that I would get the new one back in without damage, so I'll be swapping it as a complete assembly with one from a breaker/ wreckers yard. Also I noticed an odd noise, worse when stopped and idling, and tracked it to the power steering pump. I had to top it up yesterday as there was very little fluid in it, however when I looked into the reservoir last night, I found rusty looking fluid. It's just a guess, but I reckon someone has topped it up at some point with screen wash! Other than the top end lash noise, it runs pretty smooth. A little more work and it'll be good for the road I reckon, although that left over bolt is still worrying me
Old 01 Aug 2012, 02:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Spanner... The rubber bumper inserts on the top of the center engine mount (see pix).
The bolt probably is the center mounting bolt on the engine mounting bracket. its in front of the timing belt covers. You will have to support and remove the center engine mount/frame bolt to see if it is missing on the bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine mount.jpg (96.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg rubber bumper.jpg (99.7 KB, 15 views)
SpannerHound likes this.