Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 cruiser rear wiper problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 cruiser rear wiper problem

I have a 2006 cruiser and the rear wiper quit. I checked voltage and have 12.2V on the orange wire with red tracer, nothing on the brown wire with green tracer and nothing on the black wire which is ground I know that. I am wondering where the brown wire with green tracer goes and what should I look for next.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 cruiser rear wiper problem

I can only go by the wiring diagram of my 2001 PT but yes, black is ground and my other wires are different colors (almost). Brown goes to the fuse box, other wire goes to the Rear Wiper Switch in the front console.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am so stumped on this I checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and all check out good. Is there another fuse box that I do not know about on this year. None of the fuses say rear wiper or anything close to rear wiper. spray works fine just no wiper
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's the only fuse box. Chrysler did away with the interior fuse box and went with the CAN BUS electrical system which your supposed to have less problems with but harder to work with. I don't have the schematics for the newer PT's so can't help you.

It is pretty easy to take off all the interior panels of the PT, so you can take them off to get to the rear wiper motor and put voltage directly to it to see if the motor is burnt out. I took my motor out and placed a handle on the window hole.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Jul 2012 at 07:54 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I realize it does not help right now with your wiper dilemma but I always carry one of these in the car just in case!
It does sound like the wiper motor is in need of replacement though.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Jul 2012, 09:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the brown wire is the canbus wire and turns the wiper motor on. This is how the radio works. You have a constant 12 volt going to it. The canbus checks the connection and then commands the radio to come on.

My guess is that the rear wiper motor is bad. Either that or there is an issue with the canbus.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 11:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The rear wiper system on the 2006 Pt's have been a known problem. There can be different problems which involve extensive troubleshooting... The simple answer would be a reset of the TIPM. The problem is that you would have to find someone that has a Chrysler scanner that can clear DTC's. (or a trip to the dealer would work) I use a "Snap on" scanner and can clear and reset codes. Chrysler felt it was better to go with the "TIPM" concept and remove most of the fuses and relays. It also had you "married" to the dealer for resets. Most every system on the 2006 and up Cruisers are on this system and is the reason I buy 2005 and below. In the pictures, you can see the troubleshooting guide as how to go about. The rear wiper relay could also be the culprit. One other possibility is the TSB #08-027-06. (software update)

NUMBER: 08-027-06
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: June 5, 2006 THE StarSCAN(R) FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM
THE INTERNET.
StarSCAN(R) UPDATE CD 6.05 WAS THE LAST CD TO CONTAIN FLASH FILES. SUBJECT:
Flash - Rear Wiper Stops Operating with Diagnostic Trouble Codes B231B And B2215 OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves Flash Reprogramming the Totally Integrated Power Module (11PM) with updated software.
MODELS: 2006 (PT) PT Cruiser

The only way you can pull the codes is with the scanner though.
Good luck and keep us advised!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pt manual 001.jpg (92.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Pt manual 002.jpg (89.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Pt manual 003.jpg (85.3 KB, 38 views)