Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Camshaft sensor won't stay sealed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2012, 12:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Angry Camshaft sensor won't stay sealed

This is beginning to piss me off. I replaced the camshaft sensor, magnet and seal (all brand new Mopar parts) about 4 months ago and noticed that the seal started to seep oil about a month or so later. So, I replaced the seal AGAIN (new Mopar part) and guess what? After about a month of driving, the seal is starting to seep yet again! Is this seal just a lousy part, it looks very insubstantial, or is there a better brand seal or a better way to seal the cam sensor that will hold in oil longer than about a month? Unfortunately, when it leaks, it will drip down onto the wire harness over time. Oil's not too great on wire insulation.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser
Old 01 Aug 2012, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft sensor won't stay sealed

Take it all out and use a flashlight to see if there's something in the place where the magnet goes that would stop it form sitting correctly.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 01 Aug 2012, 02:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are you torquing it to the right spec? If you are I would just clean the surfaces good and put some RTV on it and let it set up.

Bob
Old 01 Aug 2012, 05:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Take it all out and use a flashlight to see if there's something in the place where the magnet goes that would stop it form sitting correctly.
Everything clears and there are no obstructions. The only thing I've noticed is that the new sensor warped slightly in between the bolts when I initially torqued it down, almost like the plastic is not strong enough to evenly compress the seal all the way around. I can almost stick my fingernail into the gap in the middle. Internally, it's not hitting anything. And I did use the proper torque specs from my factory shop manual with a good inch-pound torque wrench. The old OEM sensor didn't have that warp and it looks a little more substantial in construction and reinforcement than the newer OEM part I just bought. Almost like Mopar cheapified it a little in the reinforcing department. The seal itself looks downright puny, not like a good solid ring that would fill the sealing space once it was compressed, but I'm guessing that is because the plastic sensor is not very strong.

I'll probably consider Bob's idea of using sealer with a new seal, although very sparingly, unless of course, that's a no, no. I don't want to get any sealer into the cam bearing.

Mighty Manfred, The Wonder Dog PT Cruiser