The PT

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By OurPTGT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default The PT

I fix everybody else's stuff but I can't find time to fix mine. I am taking her in Friday for control arm bushing in the front and a clunk in the rear pass. when I shift from reverse to drive, sounds like when you pop sheet metal. As long as they have it up on the rack I'm having them put on a custom hitch I got from E-hitch on line, I'm going to pull a real small (4X4) trailer so I need the bushings in good condition. I have talked to several (5 or more) about there Pt's and they all say they the ride BUT they are frustrated with the constant problems (tranys, suspension, gas mileage. Most are 01 or 02 some with turbo and the need for 89 octane. Most wont part with them though.Tanks for reading.

Bill
Old 02 Aug 2012, 03:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfixit View Post
I have talked to several (5 or more) about there Pt's and they all say they the ride BUT they are frustrated with the constant problems (tranys, suspension, gas mileage. Most are 01 or 02 some with turbo and the need for 89 octane. Most wont part with them though.Tanks for reading.

Bill
If people would just do some research BEFORE they buy something, then they wouldn't be so frustrated afterwards. You say most are 01 and 02 so your talking about a 10 year old car and I would bet most were bought as a used car so they have no idea how the first or second owner treated the car. That's how it is on this forum. On the Turbo using the higher octane fuel, all they had to do is ask what grade gasoline was recommended for the car before they bought it. If they don't like using premium walk away. Pour gas mileage on the PT was known from the very beginning and again, a little research before they laid their money down would have told them what to expect. As far as suspension, there were loads of people complaining about bad wheel bearings going bad before they should. Then I did a thread asking who hasn't had problems and there were just as many, like myself who has gone 100,000+ miles and still running on the same bearings and I just had the bushings replaced at 110K. There was a million and a half PT's sold, you mainly only here of the complaints.
Old 02 Aug 2012, 06:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I totally agree with Crewzin about doing a little research before buying. Especially when buying a used one. Like they always say on the People's Court, "did you take it to a certificated mechanic to have it checked out before buying".
I bought my cruiser new in 09 and before putting out any cash I went on line and did a lot of research to find the good as well as the bad comments about the car. Had my Cruiszr three years without any problems and still love it. It will probably out last me.

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 02 Aug 2012, 06:54 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: The PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If people would just do some research BEFORE they buy something, then they wouldn't be so frustrated afterwards. You say most are 01 and 02 so your talking about a 10 year old car and I would bet most were bought as a used car so they have no idea how the first or second owner treated the car. That's how it is on this forum. On the Turbo using the higher octane fuel, all they had to do is ask what grade gasoline was recommended for the car before they bought it. If they don't like using premium walk away. Pour gas mileage on the PT was known from the very beginning and again, a little research before they laid their money down would have told them what to expect. As far as suspension, there were loads of people complaining about bad wheel bearings going bad before they should. Then I did a thread asking who hasn't had problems and there were just as many, like myself who has gone 100,000+ miles and still running on the same bearings and I just had the bushings replaced at 110K. There was a million and a half PT's sold, you mainly only here of the complaints.

Did someone pour gas on my PT's mileage?
Old 02 Aug 2012, 07:26 am
Senior Cruiser

with the WWW at your finger tips, there's no reason to be uniformed about a car purchase these days.
I ride my '03 GT/auto hard and put it away wet Just now starting to hear a front wheel bearing noise@170k. I replaced both LCA bushings and ball joints @150k. Most of these miles were with a 2" drop front & rear & Koni shocks.
Also has more than 50 passes on the dragstrip from '03 to '07
As for <pour> gas mileage, eh

OP, read the post on here about high mileage PT's
mdskinner731 likes this.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 02 Aug 2012, 09:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfixit View Post
Most wont part with them though.Tanks for reading.

Bill
My other car is a Lexus SC 430... Which one is my favorite? The "Cruiser" keys are ALWAYS in my pocket!

Old 02 Aug 2012, 11:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Heck i got almost 150,000 out of one wheel bearing and the other was gone by 130,000
Old 02 Aug 2012, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, my front end is in great shape, as well as, my bearings. That's 80,000 and counting on my 2003 Limited.
Old 04 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also agree with Cruzen I didn't mean to sound negitive just an observation. I never had any trouble with the girl until over 80-85K which I blame on my Daughter/ granddaughter using it for 50K and I don't think they were as easy on it as I was. But who's to blame ya know. Anyway I got the hitch on and it looks good now I have to order a module for the trailer lights and add some new shocks for the rear, I probably will put HD ones on just to be safe, don't need coil-overs as the trailer is lite and won't have over 200 LBS in it, just need the room. Just clicked over 100K and counting