PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
About ignition leads

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2012, 06:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default About ignition leads

Goodmorning everyone. I am new here. I have a question. I need to change my ignition wire on my 06 Cruiser (named her Jenny). Do i go for factory ones or on aftermarket? I am from Greece so my choices are limited. Any recommendations?Thanx a lot and keep cruisin'.
Old 02 Aug 2012, 09:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: About ignition leads

I'm an OEM guy when it comes to wires and I know we will get some feedback on this. It would take too long to explain.

Old 02 Aug 2012, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can you post what your choices are in your local area? It would help to give us an idea on what to recommend as you say you have limited choices.
Old 02 Aug 2012, 10:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

OEM wires are garbage and they are known to go bad after a few thousand miles...You can use any good aftermarket wires, like Bosch, NGK, etc on a N/A PT
Old 02 Aug 2012, 06:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Buy Bosch. You're bound to have them in Greece. I replaced mine using them and they snap in like they should and work great.

Tim
XtrmDC2 likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 02:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Guys my chooices are the OEM that costs 100 Pounds (in Greece 125 Euro) and i saw the Magnecor KV85 in UK 58 Pounds. I didn't find anything else.I don't what prices you have in your countries but i think 100 Pounds for OEM is too much. I saw one day (when i didn't need wires) at ebay some blue custom made wires near 60 USD but i can't remember a thing. The problem with Jenny is that most of the time that i start her up, from 1000 to 2000 rpm she loses one cylinder. I cleaned the injectors, i saw some difference, but it continues to lose a cylinder. One week before i drove 5 Km with 3 cylinders. Big problem. Thats why i am looking for a reliable solution. One more question. Do any of you ever changed the ignition coil? Thanx again fellas.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: About ignition leads

Are you certain it is a lead problem? Have you cleaned up or replaced the plugs and swapped the leads around to confirm?

An old codger's trick is to use a spray mist bottle with a little water in it, wait till it's dark and spray a fine mist over the leads, if any are leaking and you'll either see the corona discharge, or at least make the engine miss

BTW you can get PowerTec ones from the UK for 22 Euros plus shipping, and a few other brands at waay less money than the OEM ones you are looking at. Better Quality too

As an experienced mechanic and an electronics engineer to trade, I can tell you that coils either work, or they don't and when they don't, it's usually pretty obvious
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerHound View Post
Are you certain it is a lead problem? Have you cleaned up or replaced the plugs and swapped the leads around to confirm?

An old codger's trick is to use a spray mist bottle with a little water in it, wait till it's dark and spray a fine mist over the leads, if any are leaking and you'll either see the corona discharge, or at least make the engine miss

BTW you can get PowerTec ones from the UK for 22 Euros plus shipping, and a few other brands at waay less money than the OEM ones you are looking at. Better Quality too

As an experienced mechanic and an electronics engineer to trade, I can tell you that coils either work, or they don't and when they don't, it's usually pretty obvious
Well where were you when I was posting facts about coils? (transformers)

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Aug 2012 at 03:29 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: About ignition leads

In Scotland where I belong

I don't remember reading your post, where is it?
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefereek View Post
Guys my chooices are the OEM that costs 100 Pounds (in Greece 125 Euro) and i saw the Magnecor KV85 in UK 58 Pounds. I didn't find anything else.I don't what prices you have in your countries but i think 100 Pounds for OEM is too much. I saw one day (when i didn't need wires) at ebay some blue custom made wires near 60 USD but i can't remember a thing. The problem with Jenny is that most of the time that i start her up, from 1000 to 2000 rpm she loses one cylinder. I cleaned the injectors, i saw some difference, but it continues to lose a cylinder. One week before i drove 5 Km with 3 cylinders. Big problem. Thats why i am looking for a reliable solution. One more question. Do any of you ever changed the ignition coil? Thanx again fellas.
Magnecor are good wires

Tags
ignition wires