PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Filter - Turbo vs. NA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2012, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Filter - Turbo vs. NA

Hi All,

Just finished an oil change on my NA PT at a friends shop... As it turns out he had just done an oil change on a Turbo PT and commented that although the filter was longer, it looked about the right diameter. So, we fished out the old turbo filter and spun it on mine. Voila, it seemed to work perfectly... but put the new NA Purolator filter on.

So, with the increase in volume of a turbo filter (for both increase in oil capacity and filtering) I'm pretty convinced it makes sense to use it over the NA version... has anyone done this? Any problems or issues? Am I crazy???

Thanks!

BDG
Old 02 Aug 2012, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Filter - Turbo vs. NA

Your not crazy. I use a truck (longer filter) on my Corvette to give it half a quart more capacity but I really don't think you need it with the N/A PT Cruiser engine. We're not talking high performance here.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Aug 2012, 07:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Be very careful that the rolled lip doesn't hit something before seal fully compresses;
my bros put a Ford filter on their buddy's tercel (IIRC). It worked fine for many changes, then seal leaked as canister hit block B4 seal could fully compress= ruined tercel engine
Old 03 Aug 2012, 10:15 am
Senior Cruiser

......so longer is not always better?

That's good to know.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 11:51 am
Senior Cruiser

That's what I've always been told, but I think they're just being polite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
......so longer is not always better?

That's good to know.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All About Oil Filters

The longer or larger the filter with regards to extra oil capacity has little effect on the engine. It is the pan that you get the benefits of extra oil capacity. The exception would be if you are running a large oil cooler with remote filter housing and lines.

Using a larger filter then required simply means that if you are operating your engine in an environment that the crankcase would see a lot of dirt the filter would simple have a larger holding capacity to filter and hold that dirt or contaminates within the filtering limits of the brand oil filter chosen.
You need to look into the specification of the exact filter by product # you are using to know if you are gaining anything by its use.

When the filter has reached its capacity to filter the pressure increases and the bypass will divert the flow of oil directly back through the engine unfiltered.

Unless anyone on these boards off roads their PT or travels in an area with dust storms for long periods of time converting to larger capacity oil filter then required serves no real advantage?

Information @

WIX Filters, Wix oil filters, WIX air filters, Wix Heavy Duty Oil filters - Home
FRAM Oil Filters and Air Filters - Choose your region | FRAMŽ
Purolator Auto Oil & Air Filters
K&N High Performance Air Filters, Air Intakes, & Oil Filters

So 2step is correct,.... quote:"so longer is not always better?"

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Aug 2012 at 12:35 pm.