Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C High Pressure Switch Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2012, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C High Pressure Switch Installation

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser, standard 2.4 engine. My a/c will not work correctly. The compressor would not come on at all. I replaced the low pressure switch, and the compressor will now kick on for a few seconds, then turn off for a few seconds, then back on, etc. My next step is to replace the high side pressure switch on the compressor. My question is, do I need to depressurize the system before removing the old switch?

Thanks in advance for any information...
Old 03 Aug 2012, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C High Pressure Switch Installation

Yes, unlike the low pressure (recycling) switch, the high pressure switch lets out the R134a when you replace it.

Before you do that, have you checked the pressure in the system. One sure way of telling if your low, the compressor turns on and off rapidly (every few seconds) and that sounds like what's happening to yours.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 10:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply! Wouldn't want to get a face full of freon :-)

I've checked the pressure. When I first start the a/c, it show around 240 psi, then climbs rapidly to over 450 psi, when the compressor shuts off. Then it drops back down to the 200s, compressor kicks back on, back to 400s, rinse, repeat.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wouldn't think that would be a fault of the pressure switch. Sounds like it's doing it's job perfectly and telling the compressor to shut down when the pressure is too high.

I'd look into finding out why the pressure is building so fast. Could be it's getting overheated (fan not working properly) or there's a blockage in the system.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.