PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing problem

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2012, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing problem

Hi All, I am new to the forum. I just purchased my Cruiser 4 weeks ago as a 2nd vehicle. It just shut off the other day and by running an OB2 scan on it , it had a 1391 code ( cam or crank sensor). I then saw that the timing belt was a little tired looking.. just by pulling the cover open a bit.
My problem is getting the center torx bolt off of the center motor mount. The torx bolt 50 stripped right away. I am at the point where I welded a bolt on the end of the trox after drilling it out and the 3/8 bolt snapped.
I am wondering if I can cut the plate away (with a long sawzall metal blade) from the center mount on the engine side? Or does that center bolt go through to the block? After this mess the timing belt is a breeze.
Thanks
John
Old 03 Aug 2012, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Timing problem

The Torx bolt goes through the engine mount into the steel engine bracket, it doesn't go as far as the engine block itself.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Timing problem

Sweet!... well I will attempt to cut the bolt and drill/tap both sides then replace it with a hardend REAL bolt.
Thank you sir
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

You're welcome matey, I don't fancy your chances with a blade down the side of the bracket though. That seems like a route fraught with skint knuckles and sweary words It might be better and quicker to support the engine and just drill the torx right through. Either way, I wish you luck with it
Old 03 Aug 2012, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Craziest thing.... All that work with the welding and breaking of bolts.... I sawed through both sides of the mount , but not all the way through and then was able to loosin the bolt with my FINGERTIPS.... What the hell? The bolt was cut on both sides from the sawzall , but came out in one piece... Are you kidding me? Damn motor gremlins... About 3 hours total on this bolt. I hope its all down hill from here.
Old 03 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

I suspect it was already loosened, just the weight if the engine bearing on it. I'm glad you got it out though If you are planning on a timing belt change, now would be the time to do the water pump, idler and tensioner. If you have three arms or some other sneaky way of holding everything in place while fitting the belt you'll be fine, if not be super critical with your eye after re-tensioning the new belt and turning the crank a couple of times. Oh, and always turn the crank clockwise as you look at it or you risk damage to the tensioner. Good luck with it
Old 05 Aug 2012, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes I did replace all of those components. And it went back together fairly quickly, except for the cast iron bracket..... what a beast. Now before putting on belt, I got #1 up to TDC and alligned the 2 top gears...... the car did start with no codes but at idle it runs a little rough and seems to want to stall. I read a post where a guy had to pull it all apart and found that the belt was 1 tooth off..... really? There should have been some kind of outside adjustment to make up for a slight tuning. I really dont want to pull this thing apart again.
Old 05 Aug 2012, 08:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have just recently done a top end rebuild and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but even with 30+ years of mechanical experience behind me, I had to set the timing a couple of times before I was happy with it. Of course I didn't button it all up before I felt 100% confident that the timing was spot on, cos I knew how much of a pita it would be to do again

Turning the crank over a couple of times and checking/ re-adjusting the tensioner again etc will highlight if the timing is out on the cam pulleys, if it's off to begin with that is. I must have turned the engine over dozens of times, each time scoping the timing marks on the pulleys before I built the rest up again.

When putting the belt on, the exhaust cam pulley was probably a whole tooth lower than the intake, then after threading and wrestling the belt on and tensioning the belt the exhaust pulley comes into line. When you turn the crank a couple of times and re-tension the belt, the cam marks should line up spot on with the cam bolt center line. If not, the timing is definitely off.

There are a few posts about cam timing on here that might shed a little more light on it
Old 06 Aug 2012, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes , that is correct. The moral to the story is, check the work before putting it back together. With the covers off and scary stuff all exposed, I started the car and it runs like a champ. I got it all back together and it runs like nothing ever happened. hard to believe that slite change can make such a difference.
Old 06 Aug 2012, 04:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The moral to the story is: MARK THE OLD BELT AND PULLEYS BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT FROM THE CAR...then you transfer them to the new belt and line up the marks
Result: perfect timing every time

Last edited by XtrmDC2; 06 Aug 2012 at 04:18 pm.