PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How long does fuel system hold pressure?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2012, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Default How long does fuel system hold pressure?

I was wondering how long the 04 Cruiser fuel system holds the pressure on the fuel lines. I know on my other cars it's there quite a while. But, I pulled the fuel line on my daughter's 04 within a minute of running and it didn't have any pressure. Just looking for something that will help me figure out why it keeps stalling.

Bob
Old 07 Aug 2012, 10:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How long does fuel system hold pressure?

The manual only tests the pressure at the schrader valve when the car is at idle. Nothing about holding pressure when the fuel line is pulled.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 03:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The fuel pump contains a check valve to maintain fuel pressure for a short while after you shut off the car. It's acceptable for the pressure to bleed to 0 by about the time the car cools down. If it's losing pressure immediately after shutting the engine off, you may have a bad check valve.

The check valve and fuel pressure regulator are both part of the fuel pump module. Either one, if bad, could cause a stalling problem.
JenneK likes this.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 03:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

heifetz17,

I was wondering if that could be the case. Sometimes I don't word my questions right. I'll check again tonight to see if there is not pressure immediately after turning the ignition off. But, if I remember right the last time I pulled the fuel line is was less than a minute after shutdown and there was no pressure.

I see your from Billings. I grew up south of Laurel at Silesia. Most of my family still resides there. I will be there probably over Labor Day.

Bob
Old 07 Aug 2012, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most F/I line pressure will return to 0 psi from about *30 to 60 seconds on gasoline none diesel fuel systems. The failure of a check valve has little to no effect on an engines idle characteristics. When a check valve of the type used in PT's fails, fuel that is supposed to go to the fuel rail to supply the injectors runs back into the gas tank, preventing the vehicle from starting easily or not at all.

If this is the case with you I can give you information on how to fix that without having go into the fuel tank.

* This is a overall estimated nonstandard time value used for quick diagnostic purpose by technicians and not a reported specification from a part manufacture

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Aug 2012 at 04:54 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 05:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

NitroPT,

After the car has sat for a day or so you can put 10 or soo miles on it. But, you let it set a while and the CEL comes on and it most oftenk dies within 400 or 500 feet. It will not start again for another half hour or so. The stalling is becoming more frequent and my daughter doesn't leave town without it. She works the graveyard shift and I have had to go get her a number of times. One time when it stall I pulled the fuel live and turned on the key and it pumped quite a bit of gas.

Bob
Old 07 Aug 2012, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek View Post
NitroPT,

After the car has sat for a day or so you can put 10 or soo miles on it. But, you let it set a while and the CEL comes on and it most oftenk dies within 400 or 500 feet. It will not start again for another half hour or so. The stalling is becoming more frequent and my daughter doesn't leave town without it. She works the graveyard shift and I have had to go get her a number of times. One time when it stall I pulled the fuel live and turned on the key and it pumped quite a bit of gas.

Bob
Howdy Bob,

So far the posts you have done does not sound to me like a failing fuel pump or check valve? Keep in mind Internet diagnosis leaves a lot to be desired for absolution!
If the engines dyes it will have a stored code in the ram of the ECU which I would recommend getting someone with a scan tool and see what codes are popping their ugliness with your PT.
There really are far to many variables contributing to a stalling engine. I wish I could be more help to you?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Aug 2012 at 05:22 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 05:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

NitroPT,

I took it to a local mechanic and he scanned for codes and only showed the P0032 and P0038 codes. Is the ECU what he scanned? I had NAPA scan it also and they came up with the same codes.

Bob
Old 07 Aug 2012, 05:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As you know I scrounge pic n pulls for extra cash.

You'd be surprised at the number of vehicles that STILL are holding pressure after what must be a very long time
NitroPT likes this.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek View Post
NitroPT,

I took it to a local mechanic and he scanned for codes and only showed the P0032 and P0038 codes. Is the ECU what he scanned? I had NAPA scan it also and they came up with the same codes.

Bob
Ok this is good info. Time to replace the 02 sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
As you know I scrounge pic n pulls for extra cash.

You'd be surprised at the number of vehicles that STILL are holding pressure after what must be a very long time
visualization at times is everything!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN