Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Most likely same AC issue, but mabye not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2012, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Most likely same AC issue, but mabye not

Good evening everyone! 06 inferno red non-turbo cruiser 93,000 with BOSE and chrome pak experiencing some very frustrating ac problems.

I am in Charleston, SC and the summer is brutal here, as many other places are as well during this summer so AC is almost a no brainer, especially since this is my only car for me and my family ( I have two kids).

While driving onto my Air Force base today, I had the A/C on at 3rd speed without recirculation on and all of a sudden the car began to run hot (at the half mark and learning over it). It was still blowing cold but about a 1/4 mile down the road a strong smell of burning electronics and rubber came out of vents for about 2 seconds and then it disappeared. I for sure thought I had burnt up something, namely the radiator fan motor after reading many, many other posts regarding this issue. I put the car in park and with the A/C running, the car began to rise up in idle from its normal 600-650 to about 1000 then down to 200 the back to normal. I would do this every 2 minutes or so and every time the A/C began to blow hot.

During this time the radiator fan was running on low and never would speed up to its second speed. The radiator fan was working yesterday as this has just happened to me. I thought the car would be un-drivable so I let it cool off while at work. While driving home, I left the ac off and it did not overheat as it stayed at the normal range. I put the car in park at my house and let it sit ther for about 5 minutes looking at the fan, noticing that the fan was running at low speed. The fan finally changed to its upper speed without the A/C on. As soon as I turned the A/C on, it started sputtering again and blowing hot.

I am worrying the buring smell I smelt was the fan motor, but the fan still works. It does spark in the center of the fan when shinning a light on it at low speed.

It is my only car for my family, so I am asking your help guy and gals. Thank you very much with your time and help with this matter.

Dave.

Last edited by PTCruisn81; 07 Aug 2012 at 06:58 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Most likely same AC issue, but mabye not

What do you mean by "It does spark"? Do you mean you can see sparks coming from the fan motor?

Tim
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, in the center of the fan, assuming where the brushless motor is, you can see it producing small sparks every sec or so.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dave,

Sure sounds like the fan is on it's last legs but the idle raising that much in time as the compressor usually turns on and off is a question. The computer does raise the idle with the compressor but only abut 100 rpm's. An erratic idle is sometimes cause by a vacuum hose coming off but not that cyclic. Hopefully someone will come along with an idea of what's wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. I am a C-17 crew chief, so things like this bother me to no ends as I want to just "tear" into it as I do my planes, but as my only car, I have to take my battles slowly ( and on the weekends when I dont work).

At least that burning smell has not come throught the vents again, but odly enought the fan still works and it is keeping the car at normal range when the A/C is not on. I am thinking I am going to have to replace the radiator fan and motor when I get pay'd.

Dave
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dave,

If you decide to get a new fan, go to RockAuto Auto Parts and fill out the blanks till you get to the "radiator fan assembly". Choose the Dorman fan for $88.79 with a lifetime guarantee.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

In the HOW TO section, I put a thread on how to change the fan on a 01-05 cruiser but with a little difference you can do yours.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Crewzin,

I have searched and located a few YouTube videos on replacing the fan as well, and it does not look hard, just going to be a fun time getting to lower hardware as most things are in the completely small engine bay of the cruiser.

Dave
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan and housing comes out from the top. The only thing from underneath are a couple of the bolts on the housing and disconnecting the electrical connection on the fan. Some found it easier to remove the battery and pull the fan out, up to the right. The other way is shown here.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That is how the vids were showing as well. The battery removal seems like a good idea as well.
Old 07 Aug 2012, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was saying, there's more than one way, like in my write-up.