Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
obd work on base model car? rough idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2012, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default obd work on base model car? rough idle

I'm not bright...but on/off/on/off/on seems like something I should be able to handle.
I tried on/off/on/off/on and on/off/on/off/on/off/on for good measure...
I tried acc/off/acc/off/acc and acc/off/acc/off/acc/off/acc for the sake of being thorough...
I went fast, I went slow, I took the key out...

I know that on my 2009 base model I don't have some of the computer options that others have. Is OBD one of them?

I've got a rough idle and I'm trying to see if there are any codes (no engine light is illuminated).

I'm pretty sure I've got fan issues, but I'm not sure its just fan issues.
- Car doesn't overheat (yet). My wife is the driver...it was only after I drove it this weekend did I discover these issues...she doesn't think it has overheated...
- Very rough idle/tries to die with AC on. I think the AC may have over-pressure vented at a stoplight.
- Not-smooth idle with AC off.
- Fan was on high speed (I think) when I checked it this afternoon with AC on...rough idle.
- Tonight, fan did not come on when AC was turned on. It turned on momentarily, but immediately spun down. I let the car idle and the temp gauge went to mid-range, but fan did not come on either with or without AC on.
- This surfaced within 100 miles after I did a tune up. New plugs, blue wires. I know correlation does not imply causation, but nevertheless, I pulled the plugs (looked fine) and replaced them with another brand. No effect.
- Tach reads about 800 rpm at idle, but feels lower...where can I hook my timing light and verify with it's tach?
- I cleaned the TB when I did my tune up...wondering if I didn't damage a sensor somehow. (non-california emissions car).

Thanks!
Old 07 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: obd work on base model car? rough idle

SO you checked and rechecked all the vacuum lines, right? Cause when you did your plugs, you pulled the intake off?

What kind of wires did you use?

BTW, OBDII is on every car after 96. However, maybe the 09 models don't give you the ability to retrieve codes? Maybe DC omitted that function with the new CANbus system in 06? I dunno...

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 08 Aug 2012, 05:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

-Vacuum lines. Think so. Non-cali emissions car, so there's only a big one in back (brakes?) and a medium one on the drivers side.
- Wires. Mopar performance blue. Cross refs with Neon.
- I'm thinking the OBD may be omitted from the cockpit display...I can't access some of the normal settings that the owners manual says I should be able to.
Old 08 Aug 2012, 07:42 am
Senior Cruiser

They all have the capability of pulling codes. The key sequence has to be done within a five second period. My 2009 is the base and it will pull the codes. It always takes me a few tries to get it. If anything take it down to a parts store and see if they can pull the codes. Most of the major ones will.
Old 08 Aug 2012, 08:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

The standard was a law passed by congress, I understand.
Old 08 Aug 2012, 11:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hard to diagnose without seeing... does the engine rock back and forth? Might be your upper and lower mounts.

Old 10 Aug 2012, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneK View Post
Maybe DC omitted that function with the new CANbus system in 06? I dunno...
Nope, the key dance works fine on my '10.

OP, the only functions you'll have on a base model will odometer and trip odometer (maybe outside temp too). You won't get those other functions you're reading about (mpg, timer, distance to empty) unless you have a full DVIC, such as in a touring or limited model.

But everyone is correct. All cars can do the key dance. You're just making a mistake somewhere.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Nope, the key dance works fine on my '10.

OP, the only functions you'll have on a base model will odometer and trip odometer (maybe outside temp too). You won't get those other functions you're reading about (mpg, timer, distance to empty) unless you have a full DVIC, such as in a touring or limited model.

But everyone is correct. All cars can do the key dance. You're just making a mistake somewhere.
Actually you do get those functions with the base. What you don't get is the extra settings like being able to set when the lights come on or off with the remote, how long they stay on, and you don't get the tire pressue monitor extra settings where you can read each tire. Also it doesn't tell you what radio station you are tuned to. But what you listed above you do get.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
They all have the capability of pulling codes. The key sequence has to be done within a five second period. My 2009 is the base and it will pull the codes. It always takes me a few tries to get it. If anything take it down to a parts store and see if they can pull the codes. Most of the major ones will.
Correct. I had the sequence right, but I didn't have the rhythm I suppose...finally got it to work. No codes. Just dashes and then dOne.

I replaced the fan and most of the roughness is gone...still smoother when it has some rpm.

I am certain that the AC vented refrigerant when I was at a stoplight prior to the repair. I looked at the hoses and none look burst so I'm assuming it was from what I think is the overpressure port on the bottom of the compressor. The AC blows cold air now. So, should I recharge the system? Any issue with just adding r134a? Should I add any Pag 46? I have a single gauge/port hose that I used to add refrigerant to my truck a couple of months ago. It worked fine.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if its good and cold just leave it be you didnt vent that much and adding to much is as bad as not enough