PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Smoke at start-up. PCV valve missing "guts".

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2012, 01:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Smoke at start-up. PCV valve missing "guts".

The other day, my wife told me that our PT Lmtd Turbo was smoking at start-up. I took a look around the forum and found a few suggestions of where to look for the cause.
Since the last fuel fill up was below 1/4 tank, I thought something may have been clogged in the fuel system. I ran a can of B12 Chemtool through for a day and nothing improved.
I then picked up a new PCV valve. When removing the old valve, I found what appeared to be a small plastic washer sitting just below the opening inside the valve cover. I looked inside the PCV valve and it was empty. No plunger, no spring. It was just a hollow tube (just as described in another thread I read). The only thing inside was a metal bottom. Apparently, the plunger and spring from PCV valve are somewhere inside the valve cover.
Can someone tell me, are there any passages large enough for these parts to make their way to other parts of the valve cover? Or will these stay isolated to this area? Maybe I can find a way to reach in there and fish them out without removing the valve cover? (I hope)
Old 08 Aug 2012, 01:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Smoke at start-up. PCV valve missing "guts".

I wouldn't take the chance. It takes very little time, maybe half an hour or so, to pull the valve cover off retrieve the broken parts, give the surfaces a clean and fire it all back together again. Unless any of the rubbers are damaged, they should all seal up again without problems, and if not a smear of liquid silicone gasket works wonders
Old 08 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Smoke at start-up. PCV valve missing "guts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIL8r View Post
The other day, my wife told me that our PT Lmtd Turbo was smoking at start-up.
Well.... I would have to say your turbo bearings and or seal is going
You might want to see how much play is in the shaft! If you catch it in time, you can rebuild them, but once you lose the bearings (you will hear it), your looking at a new one. BTW search for threads in the turbo section, they will talk more about this.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

Old 09 Aug 2012, 03:03 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767skyking View Post
Well.... I would have to say your turbo bearings and or seal is going
You might want to see how much play is in the shaft! If you catch it in time, you can rebuild them, but once you lose the bearings (you will hear it), your looking at a new one. BTW search for threads in the turbo section, they will talk more about this.
I don't think so (and certainly hope not). Since installing the new PCV valve, the billowing smoke that was happening at each start-up is now gone. I also noticed that the PT turns over much easier than it was since just prior to when the smoking started.

BTW.. Thanks for the tip on the rebuild. But, I'm not sure where the "turbo section" is in the forum.

Last edited by NIL8r; 09 Aug 2012 at 03:08 am.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 06:49 am
Regular Cruiser

The turbo section is about middle of the page. The heading is "2.4l turbo forum".
Old 09 Aug 2012, 09:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

NIL8r... Great to hear your turbo is ok. BTW how many miles are on the Cruiser? Has the oil changes been done at the 3k mark? Do you use synthetic oil. One of the big problems on this turbo is the "coking" of the "turbo oil feed" line. You might want to think about replacing this so you can preserve this expensive jewel of a turbo. The part # is 4884276AC and it will put you back about $30. This is the first thing I do when I pick up these cars. (well, most of the cars that I find have blown turbos so its a must )

Old 09 Aug 2012, 11:20 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks again or the info. I know too well about oil supply lines. My Plmouth Laser Turbo went to the dealer for a timing belt and they stripped out my oil feed line. I took it back for a nasty leak and within a few months my Turbo went. They wouldn't cover it either. Thankfully, they later closed their doors for good.

My PT has 163k on it. But, it's almost all highway miles. I drive about 500 miles a week to/from work. Both home and work are within 3-4 miles from the expressway.

No, I haven't been religious about changing oil at 3k. I've never been able to figure out why US manuf. tell us that while European car manuf. suggest much higher milage. I'd be doing oil changes every month with the milage I drive. To be honest, I'm more around 5k with each change. I check my level regularly and, until the smoking started, never have run low. But, I do run synthetic.

Funny you mention that about getting other PTs. When mine started smoking, I thought it was the end. I thought about looking for another PT. They have their issues. But, it's been such a fun car to drive. Sad that they stopped making them.
Old 09 Aug 2012, 11:34 am
Dedicated Cruiser

You are OK doing 5k miles or more on full synthetic
Old 27 May 2013, 10:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIL8r View Post
The other day, my wife told me that our PT Lmtd Turbo was smoking at start-up. I took a look around the forum and found a few suggestions of where to look for the cause.
Since the last fuel fill up was below 1/4 tank, I thought something may have been clogged in the fuel system. I ran a can of B12 Chemtool through for a day and nothing improved.
I then picked up a new PCV valve. When removing the old valve, I found what appeared to be a small plastic washer sitting just below the opening inside the valve cover. I looked inside the PCV valve and it was empty. No plunger, no spring. It was just a hollow tube (just as described in another thread I read). The only thing inside was a metal bottom. Apparently, the plunger and spring from PCV valve are somewhere inside the valve cover.
Can someone tell me, are there any passages large enough for these parts to make their way to other parts of the valve cover? Or will these stay isolated to this area? Maybe I can find a way to reach in there and fish them out without removing the valve cover? (I hope)
This happened to me, too! We just bought a 2004 GT with 92,000 miles on it and it's been using a lot of oil. I've been trying to figure out what was wrong. I ran a compression test today and the engine looks great, so I was starting to look into buying a rebuilt turbo, thinking the oil was seeping past the seals there.

I read a couple of threads here, including this one, and decided to try replacing the PCV valve since it is less than $10. I started taking the old one off when the hose actually broke, it was so brittle from the heat. When I got the PCV valve out, there was nothing inside - just an unchecked source for oil sucked right out of the top end into the intake manifold!

I found a PCV valve at O'Reilly for $9.99 - it even has a limited lifetime warranty! Autozone and Pep Boys had nothing. I called my local store and they told me they had one in stock. I drove down there but it turns out I will have to wait until tomorrow - they only have the part in Phoenix. Meanwhile, I bought two feet of 3/8" fuel line to replace the old molded hose, attached one end to the manifold, swept the line back around the filler neck of the coolant bottle (no possible kinking) and up to where it will connect to the new PCV valve - the molded hose is completely unnecessary! I have a bolt clamped in the end of it now and stuck the old PCV valve back in to keep junk from falling through the hole in the valve cover. until I can install the replacement.

Meanwhile, the smoking appears to be gone. The car smoked a little after I first pulled the PCV valve out but I think it was just clearing out oil that was already in the intake. It also seems to be running a lot better.

It is UNBELIEVABLE that a $10 part can make so much difference, and that a Mopar part would just fall apart like that. Has anybody been able to retrieve the guts from under the valve cover? My gasket and spark plug seals need to be replaced, anyway, so I guess I'll get a chance to look around in there.

Has anyone approached Chrysler about this issue? I'm not comfortable knowing those pieces are rattling around in there, just looking for an oil passage to plug up! Seems they have some responsibility here.
Old 28 May 2013, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't wast your money on the pcv replacement. Put that towards the Boost lock valve. It will help way more. The peaces should be in the baffle of the cover.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com