Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best way to remove coolant connector

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2012, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Best way to remove coolant connector

What's the best approach to removing the metal coolant connector casting (the bottom half of the thermostat housing... ie, the metal casting that bolts to the engine block? From topside I've managed to remove the top and right side bolts that attach it to the block. How do you get to third bolt... the one on the bottom?
Old 09 Aug 2012, 06:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Best way to remove coolant connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehewitt View Post
What's the best approach to removing the metal coolant connector casting (the bottom half of the thermostat housing... ie, the metal casting that bolts to the engine block? From topside I've managed to remove the top and right side bolts that attach it to the block. How do you get to third bolt... the one on the bottom?
You didn't even say if your PT? is an NA or turbo, but if its an NA then a ratchet wrench with a long extension and then a swivel and then a short extension and then the appropriate socket (10 mm I think) will easily remove it. If yours is a turbo engine then the P/S pump and its reservoir will be somewhat in the way and you may have to pull the P/S pump/reservoir or at least unbolt and push it out of the way. Not sure since I've never had to do this on any of my customers turbo engines.

Is yours broken?

Please click below.

Jerry
Old 09 Aug 2012, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, yes it's an '01 NA engine. The pics help a lot... thanks.

As to "is it broken?"... sort of. It's the GF's car and recently overheated. Her mechanic wanted $175 to replace the thermostat, so she asked me for help. I discovered the thermostat housing flange was leaking under pressure, which explained the coolant loss. The water pump and fan were ok, so my plan was to just replace the thermostat and cap... I assumed a new seal would solve the leak. However, when I removed the plastic top half of the assembly and thermostat I discovered that the bottom half flange area was badly corroded and that the new thermostat/seal couldn't possibly not leak. It looks like a previous thermostat replacement RTV'ed the flange area. While that apparently stopped the leaking at the time, it must have allowed some coolant to flow around the thermostat seal which eventually eroded a "chunk" out of the metal flange gasket seat area the size of a small pea. The entire thermostat seal seat area is irregular now and the "chunked out" area extends over half way to the outer edge of the flange. I guess I could RTV it again, but who knows how long it would hold before it dumps the coolant again... and destroys something really expensive?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick update... was able to remove 3rd bolt and get housing out (with only a couple scraped knuckles )... thanks again Jerry.

Parts arrived late yesterday afternoon (I ordered them from rtpartsco in Tampa since the total cost of both housings, the gasket for the lower housing, and shipping was $30 less than just the lower housing at my local Chrysler dealer. So, I'm good to go for reassembly today... hopefully before the heat of the day (113F forecast for sunny AZ today).
Old 11 Aug 2012, 02:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehewitt View Post
Just a quick update... was able to remove 3rd bolt and get housing out (with only a couple scraped knuckles )... thanks again Jerry.

Parts arrived late yesterday afternoon (I ordered them from rtpartsco in Tampa since the total cost of both housings, the gasket for the lower housing, and shipping was $30 less than just the lower housing at my local Chrysler dealer. So, I'm good to go for reassembly today... hopefully before the heat of the day (113F forecast for sunny AZ today).
and I thought we were hot at 96% here in sunny Flooridiea!

By the way, I just checked out the www.rtpartsco.com that you mentioned. COOL! They're only around thirty minutes from me and I didn't know they even existed. Thanks!

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 11 Aug 2012 at 02:20 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I actually ordered via Factory Mopar Parts but the shipment came from rtpartsco. I ordered on the weekend, they shipped Monday and parts arrived on Friday... pretty good for UPS Ground. Everything I received was in its original Mopar part bag. Hope the reference helps others.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I do try to stock these used, Neon owners use them to separate manifold from coolant (Heat soak, EZ to swap mani's)

Some are so severely corroded that 1/8" of milling still didn't clean up gasket surfaces ... Lesson for me to change coolant once and a while.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

personally, I treated mine like pulling a tooth, tied a rope around it, tied it to a tree branch up in the air, backed up real fast...voila! gone.... snicker....