Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shift linkage cable bushing replaced again now shifting harder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2012, 01:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Shift linkage cable bushing replaced again now shifting harder

Hello all, shifting is now more difficult after having a "shift linkage bushing" put in.

some of you are familiar with my car problems. For others I'll brief and lead up to the current situation. Back in May took the car in for lower control arm replacement and had them do bushings for the front part of the shift linkage after noticing no bushings. The shop also replaced the tensioner when discovering that to be worn, as well as a camber kit for wheel alignment after the whole thing was done. All seemed well with the car.

Recently took it in for rocker panel work and when I got it back the idle was very rough and I had no e-brake. Members on this wonderful forum helped me diagnose the rough idle and suggested fix. At the mercy of my brothers garage and weekend free we could not replace the EGR valve until last weekend. Previous to changing out the EGR valve I had noticed the bushing gone from one of the shift linkage but didn't want to do anything with that or the e-brake (take back to each shop) until we had the EGR valve replaced.

So, I had appointment with shop that did the initial shift linkage bushing for this morning. They replaced it, but when driving away I notice immediately that shifting is harder now than when I brought it in.

Could their fix have anything to do with it or do you think it's something else?

One other thing I noticed...wasn't there before...the air intake duct has a zip-tie around it attached to an electrical connector. Arrgggh!!! I don't understand it, they wouldn't have had to do anything with that. I am p-o'd frustrated and depressed at the same time.

I'm scheduled to take the car back to the body shop next week (that's where I lost my e-brake)

Any suggestions or input is very much appreciated. I'm to the point where I don't even know if I should go anywhere with my car.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 02:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Shift linkage cable bushing replaced again now shifting harder

i wonder if they had to take off the airbox to fix the busing and somewhere along the line they broke that sensor and now it won't lock into the tube. That would explain why the zip tie is the way it is.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The IAT should fit tight into the intake tube without help to hold it in. What they broke is the red locking tab for the electrical connection.

Sorry, can't help with the linkage question. What I would do is take that zip-tie off and see if they didn't break the tiny little blue tip off the sensor that does all the sensing of the incoming air. You might need another zip-tie to keep the electrical connection on after you inspect the tip. Be careful when you take the IAT out to inspect it.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

You are right Crewzin. Looks like they broke off the locking tab too. I wonder if they didn't know how to unlock it and they tried to pry it off with a screwdriver.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What I would do is take that zip-tie off and see if they didn't break the tiny little blue tip off the sensor that does all the sensing of the incoming air.
Thank you for the help.

I will have to go get a zip tie before doing this. Is there a specific type or name of zip tie I should ask for?

If the tiny little blue tip is broke off the sensor, would there be symptoms that I would notice? I am assuming if the little blue tip is missing/broken I will have to replace it. Where do I go to order the part and what do I do to replace it? Is there a page in my "Haynes Repair Manual" with pictures and discussion about replacement.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 03:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The IAT should fit tight into the intake tube without help to hold it in. What they broke is the red locking tab for the electrical connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
You are right Crewzin. Looks like they broke off the locking tab too. I wonder if they didn't know how to unlock it and they tried to pry it off with a screwdriver.
What really ticks me off is that they didn't even tell me about this!

Crewzin and Ray_Dockrey...either of you guys have a color picture of the connection.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Haynes manual 6-7. Find out if it's ok first. They might not have broke the tip, only the locking tab. One step at a time. Zip-ties, come in a bunch. Usually can't buy just one. They come in different lengths. Any auto store. Sometimes you get different lengths in different colors in one container. If not, get the longest you can (12 nches or so) as you can always cut it shorter. Saying that, you can always put two together to make it longer.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 03:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Are there zip-ties that stand up to heat better than others? Or, is a zip-tie a zip-tie?

Edited to add: Stupid question...they'll let me know at an auto parts store. I'm off to get the zip-ties and do an inspection.

Thanks.

Last edited by CruiserLady; 10 Aug 2012 at 03:23 pm.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No stupid question here (almost). They had a recall of the fuel line rubbing against the A/C lines and causing fires. Chrysler's answer was to Zip-tie my fuel line away from the A.C line. That was back in 2002-03 and the tie is still there. They are plastic so will melt if directly next to high heat but otherwise they will hold up forever.

Hard to see black zip-tie on chrome covered fuel line.

Old 10 Aug 2012, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin, Your engine compartment looks very sharp.

On to the rest of the story...I've posted pictures of both ends because I really don't know how big this little blue tip is supposed to be. There's blue there but really doesn't look like much.

So, here is both ends for your evaluation. If the pictures don't help with evaluation I can attempt different angles. Thanks again for all of the help.

I will be leaving at 5:45 CST to go to our communities American Cancer Society Relay for Life event and check back later.

Thanks again guys for all you do.

Last edited by CruiserLady; 10 Aug 2012 at 05:25 pm. Reason: added "and check back later."