Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My 2002 Cruiser won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2012, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default My 2002 Cruiser won't start

I have a 2002 Cruiser that seems to be a base model. I have had it for about 2 months and it has been awesome. Last week I parked it under a tree in my driveway and drive another vehicle for a couple of days, when I went to start it it just spins but doesn't try to start.

I know it has to be fuel or spark so first I took out air box and sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body hose while having someone start it. I know it's F/I but I figured I would hear some Chang even it wouldn't start. NADA for results.

I then pulled off Cam Sensor and checked for cam rotation and it was rotating. So then I decided the cam sensor was a pretty good "odds vs investment" without pulling it on a tow dolly just to have codes read. I changed can sensor and still no change.

So I went yesterday and bought a really nice Equus/Innova code scanner, finally found a justification with wife , and two obscure codes came up.

P0455 Evaporaptive Emission System Leak Detected. ( Gross Leak/No Flow

And

P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)

I have slightly less than 1/4 tank of gas
I bought a brand new battery when I bought the car and it seems to be turning the engine over fine
The timing belt was changed 10-15,000 mile ago or less.

Any thoughts or has this list of symptoms happened to anyone before?
I read through several and didn't see any that fit mine, but I didn't read 10 years worth admittedly.

Thanks for the help and taking time to read this

Scott
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:11 am
Banned

Default Re: My 2002 Cruiser won't start

If you enter p0172 in the search function here and the 7th thread down on the resulting posts listed, seems to be a good place to start. It's titled "error code p0172" from "bree1976" on Oct. 2, 2011.

Jerry
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Scott, welcome to the forum.

As Jerry said, a search on P0172 will give you ideas to start looking.

The two things I have to say are 1) the p0455 code that we usually see here on the forum turns out that 99% of the time it has something to do with the gas cap. Either failure to seal properly or not being securely tightened after the last fill up. It needs to click 3 times. 2) you didn't have to buy a scanner to find the fault codes. Chrysler has a built in way of finding codes with the use of the ignition key. Here's the instructions on how to retrieve the codes.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

As far as the scanner goes, I am aware of the code retrieval systems with keys and paper clips and what not. But I have a Ranger and an F150 with the OBD1 system and had been wanting one anyway. My wife's van wouldn't shift last month and I towed it to Autozone to verify it was solenoid pack before I bought one. So she saw the value in that as she was thinking it needed a transmission rebuild and I saved us that expense.

Now back to the cruiser, when I first got the car the Evap purge solenoid code came up and after a week of driving and a tank of gas it cleared itself. The car had been sitting up for about 3-4 months before I bought it, so it made senses to me.

Would an Evap purge solenoid cause it to not start?
If anything, the ECT switch is a possible and I'm really thinking that will be my next stab simply because I had those fail on other card through the years and was utterly amazed at the havoc that little sensor caused in the big scheme of things.

To be clear though, a crank sensor should throw a code normally correct?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, both the Crank and Cam sensors have their own codes.

The code retrieval system that I posted is as good as anything you'll find at Auto Zone or other auto stores. It might not dig deeper into a problem such as P0700 which is generic for the transaxle but 90% of the codes that show up using the ignition key, give the exact cause of the problem. Sometimes, like the P0340 (Camshaft sensor code) it's a clue that the timing belt has broken. The belt has no sensor, but the Camshaft sensor stops seeing a signal so it throws a code that something is wrong. Besides, if you out on the road, do you really carry along your scanner? Whereas the ignition key retrieval is always there waiting for you to find out what the problem is.

One more thing. I though the PT uses the OBDII scanner, not OBD1. Maybe the 1 is OK but 2 is the updated version.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Everything 96 and newer does use the OBD 2 operating system. The scanner I bought does OBD1 and 2. And I am not disregarding your points about the greatness of the ability to pull codes with the key, I simply drive older cars all the time. So I'm always getting codes which Autozone has read for free, but nobody but mechanics do the OBD1 code retrieval because they are so old. So I "justified" this purchase because both trucks have the light on and need to be checked before my next inspection sticker. So rather than count flashes and figure it out like morse code, I bought a scan tool. I'm not your guy that might check a code once a year. I get codes like once a month.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: My 2002 Cruiser won't start

Does it have an alarm/ immobiliser? If so, perhaps it's activated/ faulty and interrupting the coil pack supply? Neither of the codes you retrieved will cause it not to start or at least offer up. Running rich codes might be there if no spark is present and you crank it over for a while. First thing I would do is stick an old spark plug on each lead and check for a healthy spark

Oh and using easy start, or whatever other ether based spray start aid, is a good way to turn the engine into a junkie, after a while it will refuse to start without it Plus it can play havoc with sensors and store junk in the PCM
Old 11 Aug 2012, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the tip Spanner on the immobilized. It didn't come with a key FOB just a single black key and two metal keys. All of which started it if memory serves me. What sequence of events would have immobilized it?

I went and locked it with drivers button and then checked hatch and all doors. I manually pushed rear passenger lock shut because actuator is broken.

I then went and opened drivers door with a key and tried to start it. It didn't start right up but it did sound like it wanted to start so I gave it gas and after pumping it a bit it fired and ran for about three seconds. When it was over the haze it left was very rich smelling and it wouldn't start again but it came close once.

So I have to work to tonight I am going to get an ECT on my way, and try changing that just for the heck of it. I will try that in the morning and I guess if that fails I may rent a fuel pressure kit from Autozone and check the pressure at the rail and make sure my pump/regulator assembly is functioning at the correct pressure.

Thanks for the help guys thus far.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I actually think I am going to do the fuel system pressure check before buying ECT switch. I now see there is a code for the ECT failure and I'm not getting either of those. I may buy the ECT when I get fuel pressure tester but not install it as I'll burn couple of gallons gas going back to get it, so at $13.00 it's prolly just cheaper to buy it.

I did for kicks swap my ASD relay and my horn relay with no different results encountered.

I am also going to buy a plug to check fire on each cylinder to further determine Fuel/Ign direction of troubleshooting.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racechaser View Post
So I actually think I am going to do the fuel system pressure check before buying ECT switch. I now see there is a code for the ECT failure and I'm not getting either of those. I may buy the ECT when I get fuel pressure tester but not install it as I'll burn couple of gallons gas going back to get it, so at $13.00 it's prolly just cheaper to buy it.

I did for kicks swap my ASD relay and my horn relay with no different results encountered.

I am also going to buy a plug to check fire on each cylinder to further determine Fuel/Ign direction of troubleshooting.
Sounds like the key is not being recognized. You did use the black key in the ignition? The metal keys will not work.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com