Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Groaning sound after complete stop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Groaning sound after complete stop

My 08 PT Cruiser has started making a groaning type sound after I come to a complete stop. Doesn't make the sound while braking, only after car is stopped. Also makes the sound when start going again after stop. These are the only times I hear the noise. Any ideas what this might be?

Last edited by jillymae11; 11 Aug 2012 at 10:51 am.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Groaning sound after complete stop

You might need to expand on that fault description a little...
The groaning could be a few things from brakes to suspension to belt/ pulley noise to power steering pump noise to just about anything!

Try to pinpoint where on the car the noise is emanating from, front, back, which side etc. Try turning the steering wheel from side to side when stopped and see if the noise gets louder or quieter. Is the noise only there going round a left hand corner or a right hand one etc. You get the idea
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Groaning sound after complete stop

Thanks for the reply, Spannerhound! It's not a continuous groan, just happens right after I have complete a stop. I press the brakes, the car stops, I hear the groan sound once. Happens every time I complete a stop, but not while I am braking. Sometimes I hear it once when I start going again, just one groan. I say groan because it's not a grinding sound, more like a groan. Doesn't happen when I turn the wheel or any other time. Doesn't happen when I go over the speed bumps in my apt complex. Definitely coming from the front of the car. I am familiar with brake noises. The front brake pads and rotors are only about 6 months old. This noise just started within the past 2 months. Have been driving for 38 years and can't say I've ever heard this particular noise with any of my other cars. Was hoping someone else might have had this problem and could tell me what it is.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillymae11 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Spannerhound! It's not a continuous groan, just happens right after I have complete a stop. I press the brakes, the car stops, I hear the groan sound once. Happens every time I complete a stop, but not while I am braking. Sometimes I hear it once when I start going again, just one groan. I say groan because it's not a grinding sound, more like a groan. Doesn't happen when I turn the wheel or any other time. Doesn't happen when I go over the speed bumps in my apt complex. Definitely coming from the front of the car. I am familiar with brake noises. The front brake pads and rotors are only about 6 months old. This noise just started within the past 2 months. Have been driving for 38 years and can't say I've ever heard this particular noise with any of my other cars. Was hoping someone else might have had this problem and could tell me what it is.
Check your control arm bushings, behind the front tire. The sway bar bushings. Also check the upper and lower motor mounts.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Groaning sound after complete stop

Could it be the torque converter/lock up clutch?
Old 11 Aug 2012, 10:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nope, be willing to bet it's either a bearing or brakes/rotors. Sometimes you have to pull your rotors and jet wash the wheel cylinders to allow the pistons on the breaks to free up easily. Sometimes it's rear breaks, when you adjust your breaks to reduce the amount of play in the pedal, sometimes the rears will drag a bit as you pull away. Also, sometimes you need to just take the wheel off and uncover the rears so that you can jet wash them. They tend to get tons of buildup of crud and that can cause the groaning sounds.

Me, I'm constantly cleaning my wheels and brakes because I'm probably OCD and want my car to always look brand new, so I don't ever have brake groaning. However, I live right next to a lake and every morning we get enough dew to make it look like it rained, and the first time I back out of the driveway my brakes squeal a bit - yes the factory rotors tend to get a dusting of rust overnight from all the moisture in the air. The squeal lasts only a few seconds, usually two taps on the brakes while moving and it's gone.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:00 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Groaning sound after complete stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Nope, be willing to bet it's either a bearing or brakes/rotors. Sometimes you have to pull your rotors and jet wash the wheel cylinders to allow the pistons on the breaks to free up easily. Sometimes it's rear breaks, when you adjust your breaks to reduce the amount of play in the pedal, sometimes the rears will drag a bit as you pull away. Also, sometimes you need to just take the wheel off and uncover the rears so that you can jet wash them. They tend to get tons of buildup of crud and that can cause the groaning sounds.

Me, I'm constantly cleaning my wheels and brakes because I'm probably OCD and want my car to always look brand new, so I don't ever have brake groaning. However, I live right next to a lake and every morning we get enough dew to make it look like it rained, and the first time I back out of the driveway my brakes squeal a bit - yes the factory rotors tend to get a dusting of rust overnight from all the moisture in the air. The squeal lasts only a few seconds, usually two taps on the brakes while moving and it's gone.
I am OCD, and I understand the apparent humor of it.

If you were truly ocd, you would know it, and be on meds daily for it and see a shrink and a psychotherapist for cbt for which I do.

Big difference between being a fanatic about something and ocd
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

See, now you're not OCD.... if you were, you'd be spelling OCD in caps...hahahahaha... my wife calls me OCD, and also calls me Mr. Safety Man. I won't move my car if I have passengers aboard and someone has not put on their seatbelt. I never leave my dock in my boat with passengers until they all shut up and listen to my safety speech, where the fire extinguishers are, floatation devices, flare gun, emergency whistle and horn, etc.

So, I guess I could be called Mr. OCD Safety Man...lmao...
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Groaning sound after complete stop

It's either brakes or strut tops I reckon
Old 12 Aug 2012, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I am OCD, and I understand the apparent humor of it.

If you were truly ocd, you would know it, and be on meds daily for it and see a shrink and a psychotherapist for cbt for which I do.

Big difference between being a fanatic about something and ocd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
See, now you're not OCD.... if you were, you'd be spelling OCD in caps...hahahahaha... my wife calls me OCD, and also calls me Mr. Safety Man. I won't move my car if I have passengers aboard and someone has not put on their seatbelt. I never leave my dock in my boat with passengers until they all shut up and listen to my safety speech, where the fire extinguishers are, floatation devices, flare gun, emergency whistle and horn, etc.

So, I guess I could be called Mr. OCD Safety Man...lmao...
Sounds like a mixed bag of Planters nuts, arguing about who is nuttier!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
complete stop, groaning noise