• 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Chromenut
  • 1 Post By Chromenut
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Aftermarket Replacement Springs

Here is some information about the available performance oem replacement springs. I may have missed a couple that I am not familiar with or was unable to find any information on. The two types of spring design are progressively wound and normally wound spring sets.

This was a personal quest and not necessarily empirical information because of all the vague information from the manufactures.

I contacted all the companies below and only one was willing to give me the lb rating of the springs in the kits. Here is most of the reasons given as to why this information is not supplied or researchable on their web sites or with contacting them.

1. The After market and chasses Suspension manufacture have NO standard for height measurement or where the measurements are taken on the vehicles. This means as an example that one brand may use the lower wheel well skirt and another may use the lower bumper to get there installed heights.

2. The Spring production supplies for a specific kit may change, supplied spring specifications change with a different rate spring within the same kit number. This means that the same kit # offered a few years ago may have different rated springs then the one currently offered with that same kit #

3. Really Vague definitions of specific application ranges of end user for ride height.

I found that most manufactures seem unwilling almost defensive by nature to even give performance specification other then generalized advertised information or even an approximate percentage spring rate increase over stock oem springs. But apparently after a insistent line of questioning the spring rates supplied from most manufactures range from 10% 25% increase over stock OEM springs.

Almost all used quality material and manufacture process to produce the springs So the price variance was surprising considering this?
Retail kit average price range was from 139.00 to 325.00

My conclusion is that no one Spring Supply Company has the advantage over another.
If I had to suggest a spring company I would see what otherís have used based on like modifications to your own PT to achieve the same results.

Aprox. FRONT installed height Aprox. Rear Installed height

B&G 1.5 1.5

C&M (Canuck Motorsports)
1.5 1.75

Eibach Springs
1.6 2.0

H&R Sport Springs
1.4 1.3

Sprint (normal wound springs)
2.0 2.0

Tein 1.3 2.0
179lb 163lb

Vogtland 1.2 1.2

Progressively wound springs
Car Bibles : The Suspension Bible
These are the things to go for when you upgrade your springs. In actual fact, it's difficult not to get progressive springs when you upgrade - most of the aftermarket manufacturers make them like this. Most factory-fit car springs are normally wound. That is to say that their coil pitch stays the same all the way up the spring. If you get progressively wound springs, the coil pitch gets tighter the closer to the top of the spring you get. This has the effect of giving the spring increasing resistance, the more it is compressed.
The spring constant (stiffness) of a coil spring equals:
k = compression / force = D^4 * G / (64*N*R^3)
where D is the wire diameter, G an elastic material property, N the number of coils in the spring, and R the radius of the spring.
So increasing the number of coils decreases the stiffness of the spring. Thus, a progressive spring is progressive because the two parts are compressed equally until the tightly wound part locks up, effectively shortening the spring and reducing its compliance.
So for normal driving, you'll be using mostly the upper 3 or 4 'tight' winds to soak up the average bumps and potholes. When you get into harder driving, like cornering at speed for example, because the springs are being compressed more, they resist more. The effect is to reduce the suspension travel at the top end resulting in less body roll, and better road-holding. Invariably, the fact that the springs are progressively wound is what accounts for the lowering factor. The springs aren't made shorter - they're just wound differently. Of course the material that aftermarket springs are made of is usually a higher grade than factory spec simply because it's going to be expected to handle more loads.
Note:Make sure you get powder-coated springs! This means they've been treated with a good anti-corrosion system and then covered in powdered paint. The whole lot is then baked to make the paint seal and stick and bring out it's polyurethane elastic properties. It's the best type. If you just get normally painted springs, the paint will start to flake on the first bump, and surface rust will appear within days of the first sign of dampness. Not good. Besides - powder coated springs look cool too!

B&G Suspension Systems | S2 Sport Lowering Springs |S2K Sport Suspension Lowering Kits | RS2 Coilover Suspension Kits | It's about the drive!

Home - Canuck Motorsports Online Store: Car Truck SUV lowering lift kits.

Eibach Springs : Application Look-up

H&R Special Springs, LP

TEIN USA | PRODUCTS | S.TECH

.:: Vogtland Sport Suspension ::.
ptprice likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Apr 2015 at 06:59 am. Reason: copied post for another forum
Old 13 Sep 2012, 05:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket replacement Spings

Yep I saw this thread! Spring rates seem really soft compared to what I'm used to! 460 inch pounds on the Terk...but taking that onlong trips is aww brutal! So these looks like a good pick for the PT, thanks!
Old 13 Sep 2012, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This thread unfortunately only gives one spring rate the manufactures in general were reluctant to disclose them for the rest of them.

Coil Spring Rate Calculations by Wallace Racing

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Sep 2012 at 06:45 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I met a design tech from H&R at the Chicago Auto show a few years ago and contacted him when I bought my springs. Ordered them from Germany so I could get coils that were 2mm thicker than the American Made versions. Also, they powder coated them for me to match my PT. Cost me $225, which is a bit higher than average, but in my opinion they are the best springs out there.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Truth be told if you have an inside with any of the spring suppliers and can get the spring rates and specification chart it easy to find something more appealing then what is packaged for the general retail market.
I am in the process of doing just that with finding something a bit more aggressive for the front struts then what is offered. The rear shock was easy I am thinking a set of Edlebrocks or a larger shaft KYB Gas-A-Adjust much like the ones offered for RV's. They are short and stout.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When I get back home this weekend I'll try to get in touch with the tech in Germany on the H&R's, see if he can send me the tech documents on the springs.

On the KYB's, are you planning on racing? They are so darned stiff that they will knock your fillings loose in your teeth!
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nitro, I'll also try to get you more info. When you get it all collected, lets post them to a PDF file, I'll include photos of each brand/type, and we can add this to the tech documents library!
jevans187 likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
When I get back home this weekend I'll try to get in touch with the tech in Germany on the H&R's, see if he can send me the tech documents on the springs.

On the KYB's, are you planning on racing? They are so darned stiff that they will knock your fillings loose in your teeth!
It is a personal preference on the KYB's as well how I set my suspension up. I never plan on racing on a track this is after all a semi dailey driver for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Nitro, I'll also try to get you more info. When you get it all collected, lets post them to a PDF file, I'll include photos of each brand/type, and we can add this to the tech documents library!
Ok

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Apr 2016, 01:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket Replacement Springs

This may or may not apply to the PT. Most auto parts stores sell replacement springs for cars. Moog is the supplier. If they still have a catalog you can find the part number for your springs in the application section. Then look that number up in the sections in the back which tell you the the wire size, spring rate, and loaded and unloaded height. Then with that information you can check the chart to match another spring which is shorter than the stock one to lower the car but retain factory ride or taller to raise the car if possible.

One other thing, if you're also into late 40s-50s-60s cars in the back of the spring catalogs is a early or antique or vintage section listing many available applications for the noted decades. I discovered this after I borrowed a catalog from a friend at a parts store when I needed springs for a 74 El Camino. Lordy those old ones were bad, the rear came up six inches and the front four after installing the new factory springs. I studied the catalog cover to cover. Lowered a 64 Chevy Impala SS with factory style springs and shorter shocks later on as well as many other cars.

One more bit of information, aftermarket parts store shock absorber catalogs also have charts in the back listing all shocks by end style combinations and extended and compressed lengths. This comes in real handy when looking for shocks for old hot rods and other modified cars to get the best full bounce control and not bottom or overextend the shocks.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 23 Apr 2016 at 12:24 pm.
Old 23 Apr 2016, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket Replacement Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
This may or may not apply to the PT. Most auto parts stores sell replacement springs for cars. Moog is the supplier. If they still have a catalog you can find the part number for your springs in the application section. Then look that number up in the sections in the back which tell you the the wire size, spring rate, and loaded and unloaded height. Then with that information you can check the chart to match another spring which is shorter than the stock one to lower the car but retain factory ride or taller to raise the car if possible.
If you can find them anymore also TRW and SEALEDPower coil spring specification catalogs. But they will not cover a PT Cruiser.

\
See info post #9 from yesturday thie thread.
Cut Factory Springs

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN