Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gauges are actting up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gauges are actting up

I got my '05 back from the mechanic earlier today and as I was driving off noticed all my gauges were acting up. The fuel gauge keeps going up and down, setting off the low fuel icon, the speedometer doesn't work, and the RPM gauge seems to always be one point above what it's actually like (if the car is not in motion/no gas being used, it's stuck on one for example).

My '05 needed a new PCM -- the old one was causing problems with switching gears. The mechanic before thought it was the transmission, so we took the car to a transmission place. They told us the transmission was good, but the speed sensors may be the reason for the jerking. Before the PCM was replaced, I also had new engine braces put in, the TPS sensor replaced, and the speed sensors replaced as well. Although, the gauge problem didn't occur until after the PCM was replaced.

To be honest, I am now scared to drive the car. We originally took the car in because of jerking that would randomly occur -- jerking to the point where it would quickly slow down the car. I thought my fears could subside after the new braces, TPS sensor, and speed sensors were all replaced, but now with the gauges acting up, I'm just not sure if it's time for relief yet.

I was wondering if this gauge issue could be cause by the new PCM put into the car. I won't be able to take the car back to the mechanic until Monday, but I'm not sure if I should be driving the car in the mean time.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Gauges are actting up

Possibly a bad connection at a plug or sensor? Although if all the instruments are playing up, I would say likely a bad earth(ground) somewhere. Is the car still jerking or has that cleared up?
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Gauges are actting up

Driving the car home, I did not experience any jerking, but then again the last two times the mechanics said the problem was fix, I experienced jerking within the next day or two. So the only thing I can really do is try driving the car again sometime tomorrow to see if I can get it to jerk.