Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ignition Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2012, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition Issues

Amongst the other issues I have presented here, this is just another issue that is plauging my otherwise, lovely cruiser. Interestingly enough, I think I have this one figrued out, and I am wanting the group's oppinion before I order tonight.

My car will crank, the starter engages and there is not suspicion that it is anything but possibly the ignition switch or lock cylinder. When turning the key, it will go in the lock cylinder very nicely and will turn pass the electrical postions very easily, and you can turn it all the way to start position. When in the starting position is when it takes some "talent" to start. Once turned to the starting position, you have to press in and give it a little pressure for the car to start. Sometimes it will very easily and sometimes it takes multiple tries to start the car by pulling out the key, re-inserting the key, pressing in and turning to the starter position, giving a little pressure, and the car will start.

I think It is either the lock cylinder or the switch all together. Very cheap for both, even found them on Amazon ( links below for pictures). Just wanting some friendly advice. Thanks guys and gals.

Dave.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition Issues

The only concern I would have would be matching the key with the starter switch, I'm not sure where the match is made, that's one part of the PT's that I know nothing about. I know mine won't start without a matching keyfob, but don't know what keeps it from cranking.

Now as to your issue, it does sound like one or the other or maybe even both.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCruisn81 View Post
Amongst the other issues I have presented here, this is just another issue that is plauging my otherwise, lovely cruiser. Interestingly enough, I think I have this one figrued out, and I am wanting the group's oppinion before I order tonight.

My car will crank, the starter engages and there is not suspicion that it is anything but possibly the ignition switch or lock cylinder. When turning the key, it will go in the lock cylinder very nicely and will turn pass the electrical postions very easily, and you can turn it all the way to start position. When in the starting position is when it takes some "talent" to start. Once turned to the starting position, you have to press in and give it a little pressure for the car to start. Sometimes it will very easily and sometimes it takes multiple tries to start the car by pulling out the key, re-inserting the key, pressing in and turning to the starter position, giving a little pressure, and the car will start.

I think It is either the lock cylinder or the switch all together. Very cheap for both, even found them on Amazon ( links below for pictures). Just wanting some friendly advice. Thanks guys and gals.

Dave.
There was a member that fixed one of these some on here!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Aug 2012, 06:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Ignition Issues

Sounds like worn switch contacts
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I figured the same. I ordered the ignition switch assembly and the lock cylinder just in case.

Dave.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 08:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Ignition Issues

I have a similar problem except my PT will run and everthing works fine,only the 'door/key in' chime & radio display won't work unless I push the key cylinder in about 1/16"-1/8" then everything works fine.....UNTIL I stop pushing in on it......I'm sure some of you know exactly what is causing this little problem......I've trolled thru the threads,and this was the closest one I could find addressing my FUNKY issue! .....Anyone have some ideas,or suggestions???..... Thanks!
Old 25 Jun 2013, 05:41 am
Regular Cruiser

It sounds more like the switch than the key cylinder at the moment. One thing with a replacement key cylinder, is it will have a replacement key with it. If your car has code keys (light grey plastic, but mine have turned dark grey over time) it will not run with the replacement key.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 10:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'd try this, Cheap at rock auto

Ignition : Ignition Switch Actuator Pin

(under 'ignition')
Old 25 Jun 2013, 10:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Ignition Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad327 View Post
If your car has code keys (light grey plastic, but mine have turned dark grey over time) it will not run with the replacement key.
The key for my 2003 PT Cruiser Base is BLACK.....(only came with 1 from auction) IMAG0272.jpg
Old 25 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

mie is black as well. no chip inside.