Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Verification, please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Verification, please

So, since moving up to CT, my poor PT just has had problem after problem. 8 just replaced the fan since 8 couldn't get the low speed to work. Well, still won't work. I checked the fuses and relays, I have power there. Check the plug, and i get power constantly from green, black is ground, and nothing from yellow. Fan does work at high speed, which as we know its a/c.

So, can someone verify that yellow does have a constant feed to it? Just disconnect and check it with a test light. That will let me know if I am looking for a grounding wire or if 8 am hunting else where.

Thanks. And sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors, my phone isn't getting along with the website.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 02:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Verification, please

I'm looking through all the info I've collected. I'll post it here, hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut
The low speed and high-speed fan relays are located under the hood, along with a fuse (#5), in the PDC. Look at the underside of the PDC lid for relay/fuse locations. Preliminary diagnostics suggest:

1. Fan motor defective.

2. Fan relay, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or engine coolant temperature sensor defective.

3. Blown fuse in Power Distribution Center (PDC).
The fans will not come on until the coolant reaches over 210F. The fans will activate if the AC is cycled.

After verifying power, simply jumper the relay contacts, and see if the fan runs. If it does, it's the control circuit including the relay, PCM, and wiring. If not, the fan is either faulty or the wiring to the fan is open.

If the fan motor is shot the entire assembly must be replaced, however a few owners have reported pulling the fan and replacing the motor brushes, which resolved the problem. The replacement motor brushes weren't OE. No further info available on that repair.
Have you checked the Coolant Temp Sensor? I don't remember, is your PT an NA or turbo? Oh, wait, three wire circuit, that means it's an NA.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 03:25 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Verification, please

Have a read through this, might be of some help:

Replaced Radiator Fan Assembly - Still no fan movement
Old 15 Aug 2012, 03:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Verification, please

Okay, based on one of your earlier posts, you're in an '05 NA PT. Make sure I'm correct there...lol...

Based on the wiring diagram from the RadFan book, black is ground, dark green is the low speed relay output and yellow is the high speed relay output.

Now this isn't the best looking diagram, but couldn't fit it here in original size so it's kind of ugly..lol...

Now I have tons of other guides and diagrams, just contact me via PM or email if you want copies. Too many to post here.