PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Charging System Help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2012, 04:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Charging System Help

OK I admit it, im stumped, whipped and broken. That lump of steel in the garage has beaten me and I am asking for help.

It all started about a week ago as I was leaving for work. When I was backing out of the driveway, the battery light came on, It had been coming on for the last week or so. It would come on then go off after about a second or two,. I had the electrical (alternator, battery and starter) all checked but at the time they all checked fine. A few miles down the road and I started losing electrical power and the battery light was still on so I turned around and brought the car home. The car has never set the check engine light and the code scanner I have does not show one when I plug it it. What I have done so far:

1. Had the battery checked out of the car. Was told it checked fine
2. Replaced the alternator, the old one checked fine but after that monumental pain in the a@@ to get it out I replaced it anyway.
3, THought the voltage regulator might have went out so got a new PCM

Light is still on and only 12 volts across the battery, but there is an interesting twist. When I put the PCM in the car yesterday the battery was so low that I had to jump start it with my Jeep. The car started and ran fine with no battery light and everything working fine., Then I removed the jumper cables and heatd the DING from the car letting me know I had not fixed the problem., The battery light had come back on but as long as I leave the jumper cable attatched the light stays off.

WHAT THE ^$E&*# IS GOING ON WITH THIS CAR help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 Aug 2012, 05:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Charging System Help

Sounds like a bad battery.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 11:13 am
Senior Cruiser

i concur with what Ray said. especially if you don't know how old the battery is.

even if that's not the problem, a new battery is worth the investment. and it could be the answer to the problem.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There was JUST a thread on chafing-

people've tried everything and found wires were dragging on axle, or something-

Can't seem to find, but was just here day or two ago-

anyone????
Old 15 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Here it is:
New alternator not charging, how to check ECM? P0622
Old 15 Aug 2012, 02:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Charging System Help

You should see at least 13.8-14.4V on the battery when the engine is running, although if it's flat it may take it a few minutes to get there. The wiring being chaffed and broken for the field coils is a definite likely suspect as the others have said
Old 15 Aug 2012, 03:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerHound View Post
You should see at least 13.8-14.4V on the battery when the engine is running
x2...check this out. Another thing to check is the fusible link between the alternator and battery...if it is open, no charging.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 03:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Oh...one more thing...this may seem obvious, but are the battery cables in good shape?...the oem cables are marginal to begin with... age, corrosion, and loose connections make for high voltage drop. Also, make sure the negative ground is clean and tight.
UptownSport likes this.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the help, I physically removed the battery cable assembly a few minutes ago and will take that to work with me to do a good inspection since I have the digital meters and such to make sure they are in good shape, visually they appear to be OK with only minor dirt on them with no corrosion.

A couple of questions and theroies I would like to toss in the wind. First, where is the fusible link physically located? I assumed that it would be in the cable assembly that I just removed, but it does not appear to have one in it. I am on call tonight and tomorrow so i will have to wait until Friday to go back under the car to check the chafing wire possibility. But both of those are a good possibility. One of the guys I work with was looking at the wiring diagram in the manual and tossed out the starter being a possible culprit since it appears to be in the charging circuit. Thoughts on that one? I think that is remote myself but anything is possible,

The one thing that kept me awake last night was why the battery light went off when i had the jumper cables attatched to the Jeep and the Cruiser? I first used the recommended jump start posts, and no battery light, then removed cables and the light came back on, then removed the air cleaner and attatched them directly to the battery with the same result. I have no idea as to how old the battery is, it is the correct size AC Delco and there is no date code on it, It is the one that was in it when I bought the car. But appears to be fairly new,. I have had it checked outside the car and was told it checked fine. A plate could have broken loose and caused an internal short I assume and maybe it just wiggled enough to check ok, THen attatching the jumper cables completed the charging circuit to turn the light off,

Will keep at it and let the group know the progress, these forums are great problem solvers
Old 15 Aug 2012, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Charging System Help

When the booster cables are on it, the battery terminal voltage at the alternator will be close to what the alternator expects, the alternator's voltage regulator will see the voltage as being within the charging window and the comparator will turn the charging light off