PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hot Motor after head gasket replacement

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2012, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hot Motor after head gasket replacement

Just got though doing a head job on a 2002 2.4.

Started right up and idles smooth. My son took it for test drive and came back and said it was getting hot again but not like before. Instead of 1/2 way which is normal, it got up to 3/4 before he got back. He drove about 10 miles.

I just sent them for a new PCV valve and to procure some new hose to go from the intake manifold to the PCV valve. I noticed the hose was being pulled in when the engine was run. After removing the PCV valve I had him start the engine again without the PCV valve attached and it stilled pulled the hose inward. I took it off of the manifold and discovered that right past the nipple where the hose attaches the rubber was deteriorated very badly, to the point it was partially blocking the vacuum from the intake manifold.

Could this cause the engine to overheat?

My next thought is the radiator may be partially plugged as he ran pure water in it for a while and it may have rusted and block the radiator.

I did flush it before I started the project and Yes i did install a new water pump when I did the head.

Last edited by dtrott; 16 Aug 2012 at 08:23 pm.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hot Motor after head gasket replacement

Also on another topic, on the power brake booster there are 3 connections. The biggest one is at about the 10 o'clock position goes behind the degas bottle and to the intake manifold. The second one is at about the 2 o'clock position and has a cap on it.

My problem is the third one. It comes straight of the check valve toward the from of the car and has a 90 rubber elbow on it, but the is nothing attached and I cannot see anything that even remotely would connect to it.

Any suggestions as to whether it should be plugged, be left open to the air or is there something that is suppose to attach to it that I am missing?
Old 16 Aug 2012, 07:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

how well did the coolant passages line up with the gasket?
Old 16 Aug 2012, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

id say radiator or fan most likely not a pvc
Old 16 Aug 2012, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did the system get all the air bled out. There is a bleeder on the housing the t stat goes in.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Aug 2012, 08:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Holes lined up excellent. Air bled through bleeder twice. Fans are working correctly I think. Low speed comes on after it reaches temperature and idles a while then turns off. High speed kicks in as soon as the AC is switched on.

Replaced the PCV valve and hose also the end that connects to the throttle body on the hose from the air cleaner.

My son took it for another spin and it got hot again, just under the 3/4 mark. He turned off thenAC and it cooled down.

I'm gonna take it for a spin here in a couple of hours when the temperatures have cooled down a bit. I may take it for another in the morning when the temps are at their lowest and see what it does.

Right now I am leaning towards the radiator. He drove it for about 6 or 7 months with just tap water in it. I'm thinking rust may have plugged it. Autozone has a new one for 129.99 in stock.

I was thinking of taking the old one off and having it flow tested, but by the time I drove to San Antonio (45 miles each way) had it done and drove back i'd have more into than the cost of a new one.

Your thoughts???!!
Old 16 Aug 2012, 08:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Did the system get all the air bled out. There is a bleeder on the housing the t stat goes in.
^^^^ did you do this?
Old 16 Aug 2012, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

See the previous post.....

Yes twice.........
Old 16 Aug 2012, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Before I started, I put a combustion tester on the radiator. It immediately turn the fluid from blue to light green, indicating a combustion leak.

I took it to our "friendly" dealership with the intent to have them do the work, we would pay for the work and my son would pay us back.

Before I took it to them I called and told them what I wanted done and asked when they would have it done. I was told if I brought it then (Thursday) they would have it ready by the following Wendsday. I took it to them immediately .

I called them the following Tuesday to check on the progress and was told they had not even started on it and that it would be Thursday before they could diagnosis it. Needles to say, I wasn't happy. But wait..... I went up Friady morning and the tech had done the same diagnosis I had done, and at that time, the price i was quoted 1200, had jumped to 1900 with the possibility of being even higher. So I picked it up, the service writer tried to charge me for the "diagnosis". A few words where exchanged and he relented, mainly because of the other customers that were waiting.

Now I may not be the smartest rock in the box, but I'm not going to put 3 or 4 thousand in to a car that's only worth 2500 dollars.

Back in my younger days, I could turn wrenches so I decided to tackle this project, arthritis and all.

It really went well. The head was pressure checked, decked (it was .006), and the valves vacuum tested. No surprises until it was run down the road for about 10 miles. It didnt get super hot, it usually runs right in the middle of the temperature range but did climb to just shy of the 3/4 mark. My son said he turned the AC off and it started to cool down.

I'm the also thinking it may have something to do with the vacuum leak at the brake booster. One on the connections goes to the intake manifold being routed behind the degas bottle. The other is capped off, but the third (the one that points to the front of the vehicle) has a 90 degree plastic fitting on it, but is open the world. Could,the vacuum leak cause the timing to be advanced or retared enough to cause it to overheat.

I'm stumped at this point.

Last edited by dtrott; 29 Aug 2012 at 07:16 pm.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 09:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrott View Post
See the previous post.....

Yes twice.........
Never mind