Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
camshaft installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2012, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default camshaft installation

I'm doing a head gasket job on my sister in laws 01 PT. So I followed the Autozone vehicle repair guide when disassmbling the head (a guide which I have alot of faith in, because it walked me though a head job on my ford ranger flawlessly), and during the disassembly it instructed me to put the crank at TDC. so I did, and now that I'm putting it back together I am to the point of reinstalling the camshafts and it is telling me to make sure than the pistons are NOT at top dead center. It's not a typo, because it's bold and capitalized in the guide. What is the reason for this? Won't it throw off my timing?

Last edited by Rippsnorter; 17 Aug 2012 at 04:29 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2012, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: camshaft installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippsnorter View Post
I'm doing a head gasket job on my sister in laws 01 PT. So I followed the Autozone vehicle repair guide when disassmbling the head (a guide which I have alot of faith in, because it walked me though a head job on my ford ranger flawlessly), and during the disassembly it instructed me to put the crank at TDC. so I did, and now that I'm putting it back together I am to the point of reinstalling the camshafts and it is telling me to make sure than the pistons are NOT at top dead center. It's not a typo, because it's bold and capitalized in the guide. What is the reason for this? Won't it throw off my timing?
Your guide is assuming the engine your working on is an interference engine. Witch could bring piston in contact with the valves if at top dead center. You are working on a non interference engine witch means the piston cannot touch the valves. So this step is not necessary.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Aug 2012, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok cool thanks. another question, the cams dont seem to want to settle in a position that lets the sprockets line up so that the timing marks are aligned. Am I just gonna have to tighten them down then align the marks before putting the timing belt back on?
Old 18 Aug 2012, 02:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: camshaft installation

When the Cam's are tightened down to their final torque setting, they will have a little resistance to turning, however you will still have to balance the Cam lobes on the "rock", that is, balance each Cam so that both the Inlet and Exhaust valves on No. 1 Cylinder(closest to timing pulley's) are in the closed position. Once the Cam's are tightened down properly and running true, they will happily stay in position when you slowly and deliberately turn them to line up. You will feel the valve springs pull the Cam's round if you go to far

Also, don't forget to use a good quality Liquid Gasket on the Cam End Caps and new Cam Oil Seals or you'll wonder where that oil is escaping from
Old 18 Aug 2012, 03:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's two alignment holes ma mopar built in-

PT's have smaller ones, but you get the idea, metal rod, or anything:

(courtesy 'booger racing')