Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2012, 06:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Engine replacement

We got a really nice rain here in the Ozarks. that's the good news. The bad news is that I was out in it right around dark and ran through a huge puddle. the water got sucked into the air intake, and that ended the engine's life.

It is covered under comprehensive storm damage - after I pay the deductible.

It's an '05 N/A with 61,000 miles. My garage tells me that they don't think insurance will spring for the cost of a remanufactured engine, but will want to put a salvage engine in. The garage has found one from an '07 with 55,000 miles. They are planning to put a new timing belt and water pump on it, if that's the way the insurance co.wants to go.

My mechanic told me that engines from an '05 through '08 would be completely compatible. Does that sound correct?

What else do I need to make sure of?

Thanks for any hand holding and advice - Harry

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 02:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Engine replacement

I have never heard anything like it! An insurance company that is willing to take a "chance" on a secondhand engine

Tell your insurance company to feck off, that you want a re-manufactured engine with a full warranty

The 2.4L N/A engine itself is the same across the range as far as I am aware, just a few of the bits that bolt on have changed a little over the years, however I smell a rat...I would be surprised if your own engine wasn't easily salvageable. All the sensors and electronics on the car is another matter
Old 18 Aug 2012, 03:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Engine replacement

I call BS on the insurance company; switch!

I go through USAA and they're nothing but wonderful to me.

Anyway, the engines are basically all the same. I just wonder if some of the sensors/harnesses are different seeing as how the 07 is a canbus-equipped PT whereas your 05 isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 18 Aug 2012, 02:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

have them buy new pistons/rods from chrysler and install, all they have to do is pull head and oil pan.
and that 2.4 balance thingy

You get new headgasket outa the deal instead of some JY queen that's never had oil changed
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
have them buy new pistons/rods from chrysler and install, all they have to do is pull head and oil pan.
and that 2.4 balance thingy

You get new headgasket outa the deal instead of some JY queen that's never had oil changed
That's a good idea, except that there is a hole the size of a quarter in the side of the block. so I need at least a short block. I'm getting back to the adjuster on Monday.

Thanks for the responses - I' appreciate this forum and all you folks.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 08:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
We got a really nice rain here in the Ozarks. that's the good news. The bad news is that I was out in it right around dark and ran through a huge puddle. the water got sucked into the air intake, and that ended the engine's life.

It is covered under comprehensive storm damage - after I pay the deductible.

It's an '05 N/A with 61,000 miles. My garage tells me that they don't think insurance will spring for the cost of a remanufactured engine, but will want to put a salvage engine in. The garage has found one from an '07 with 55,000 miles. They are planning to put a new timing belt and water pump on it, if that's the way the insurance co.wants to go.

My mechanic told me that engines from an '05 through '08 would be completely compatible. Does that sound correct?

What else do I need to make sure of?

Thanks for any hand holding and advice - Harry
Harry if it was me, and I have read all the above posts. I would go for the low mileage motor. The first 50k folks generally have the oil and filter changed on a regular bases. There is always that one still running the oil it was born with. But more than likely that's is the motor that the remanufacturing company is rebuilding for you. They have a warranty, but you have to pay the labor to change out. I would rather have a factory peace that no one, more than likely has been into. And with a new belt and water pump (oem water pump I would hope) will be better than were you stood before this happened. IMHO Danny

As for as the electricals go, I would remove everything on the new engine and put all the ones off your engine on it Injectors and all.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 19 Aug 2012 at 08:39 am.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 02:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
There is always that one still running the oil it was born with. But more than likely that's is the motor that the remanufacturing company is rebuilding for you. I would rather have a factory peace that no one, more than likely has been into.
Spent a year in a custom machine shop, not building super-trick race engines, but fixing 'rebuilds'

They use absolute cheapest parts they can-
Someone sawing piston rings off an old water pipe

Used is better than rebuild
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

This happened with a factory air intake system?
Old 19 Aug 2012, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
This happened with a factory air intake system?
I haven't got my mind wrapped around that one either!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2012, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Double post!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com