Advertisements
knocking sound

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2012, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default knocking sound

Hi Everyone
It has happend 4 times this knocking sound that lasts for half a minute in the right front tire area. Sound like when the tire rotates. Also I get a smell when I shut the car off when it happens....maybe grease.....don't know. I don't get any smell when I apply the brake.
I have a appointment at the garage Thursday. I took it to the garage but of course it was good after it happened. Two years ago I put a new tire on there after I hit the curb and it blew. It is a 2007 and has only 23,500 km and I take it to be serviced every 6 mts. Maybe someone has a idea what it can be? Thank You jinky
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: knocking sound

Is it worse going round corners either in one direction or the other?
Is it a regular "knock", "knock", "knock" or does it vary with speed?
Does it only happen on uneven ground or is it there no matter what the road surface?

Without further more accurate information, I can't really suggest anything else other than possibly the front pad material has parted company with the backer plate on one of your brake calipers. Although, given that you bumped the wheel, the usual suspects to get damaged would be Hub Bearing, Lower Ball Joint, C.V Joint, possibly Inner Tripod Joint or Track Rod End
Old 18 Aug 2012, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: knocking sound

"knock", "knock",

whos there?

"Mr Good Wrench"

Mr GoodWrench who?

"Mr Good Wrench says time to take your PT to a service shop and get the front chassis and running gear inspected."

Why can't I do it?

"Because you are on a auto forum asking about a potentially dangerous operating situation that can cause damage to your car or worse if not professionally inspected very soon!"

ohhhhhhh! Good advise....Thanks!
Old 19 Aug 2012, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Spanner, The answer to your 3 questions are no. I have had my car completely check every 6 mts. I have an appointment Thursday so will see what is going on. Thanks for the help jinky
Old 19 Aug 2012, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

I meant to say it stays the same no matter how fast I go or if I turn a corner or
if I put my brake on and I do smell either oil or grease or something for a couple of minutes. It only has been doing it for the last 3 weeks....4 different times and the mechanic took it for a drive and nothing wrong. Of course it never did it then.
thanks jinky
Old 19 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: knocking sound

i suppose it's possible that you have a goosed strut and you're getting a drip of oil onto the brake disc(rotor) or something. I would be interested in hearing back from you once the "Big Guns" have had a look at it
Old 19 Aug 2012, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Spanner, I will post Thursday and let you know. I have extra warrany untl Dec 14 2014 so hope it is covered. Thanks again jinky
Old 19 Aug 2012, 02:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I search google and it said rust on the caliper. But braking doesn't do anything but I know my brakes are rusted as the man at the garage looked under by the tire and saw rust. I have the same brakes it came with. Oh hope it is covered but probably not. thanks jinky
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck with getting your PT repaired!

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Aug 2012 at 07:43 pm. Reason: changed things
Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Everyone,
Well I had my car checked for the knocking. They couldn't find anything wrong except they put grease around the hubcap as they think this is the noise I get.
They said they heard it but I don't think they did. They called it scraping and I said it is knocking. They said the new way the hubcaps are put on the cars now are different. My brakes are good as they ck that. They said they noticed I put new pads on and I didn't nor did my husband. I am on my own as my husband passed awat last year and I bet if I was a man they would believe me.Wish there was a way I could record it when it happens. Maybe I can find one at the walmart here.
I am suppose to take it back if I have any more problems with it. I can't believe the hard loud knocking is that. I even showed them by knocking on the counter how loud it is. Even with the radio up high I can hear it when it happens.Thanks for the help. I will keep you up to date on this problem. jinky
ps I just thought of something ....twice it happened while I was going down a hill.