Spark advance question

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2012, 05:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Spark advance question

Evening all.

I just finished an upper engine rebuild on my PT. It runs fine, but on occasion has what I term a nervous idle; a miss that's not a miss. I ran around today with a Snap-on graphing scanner to see if anything looked wrong, or on the edge of right. Everything is well within parameters and there is no CEL on. What I did notice was that when this nervous idle was apparent, there were spikes in the spark advance. Each spike in the less than a millisecond range and 2 -3 seconds apart. What I don't know is what might be causing these spikes. Cam and crank sensors both test good and are synced.

For the record, I am the only one who thinks the idle gets nervous. My wife has driven it several times and hasn't noticed any problem. My buddy drove it, and is of the same opinion.

Anyone have any ideas on why the spark advance would be spiking at idle?

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Spark advance question

It could be anything from dodgy injector spray pattern or lack of fine throttle control to inconsistent fuel quality. Sometimes an "Italian" service will clear it's throat after everything has been disturbed. Find a nice quiet stretch of highway and umm give it some beans when the bears are sleeping
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Spark advance question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerHound View Post
It could be anything from dodgy injector spray pattern or lack of fine throttle control to inconsistent fuel quality. Sometimes an "Italian" service will clear it's throat after everything has been disturbed. Find a nice quiet stretch of highway and umm give it some beans when the bears are sleeping
You mean let the wife drive it!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Spark advance question

That's the one
Old 18 Aug 2012, 09:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Watch the IAT's next time out!

I get that as well and took note that the IAT's were in the 130*+ range. So now I set the UG to alert me when the IAT's get to 140*. Generally the engine purs at 20* ubove ambient for the IAT's and gets (hahaha) "nervous" ubove 120* + . Naturally we are talking about the idle engine speed.

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Aug 2012 at 09:48 pm.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Personally I think it's the nature of the beast these days with the computers running things. Might be a little tight on the tolerance on one of the sensors versus the computers wants. Making it a little trigger happy. Condition may change as belt stretches a little.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2012, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Personally I think it's the nature of the beast these days with the computers running things. Might be a little tight on the tolerance on one of the sensors versus the computers wants. Making it a little trigger happy. Condition may change as belt stretches a little.
Hmm? You sound like my wife......."no more ice cream,cookies or pizza now your belt is stretching!".
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Hmm? You sound like my wife......."no more ice cream,cookies or pizza now your belt is stretching!".

LMAO!!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com