Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is this my battery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Is this my battery?

I am having a weird problem with the AC on my 2007. In the daytime it works fine, but at night, after I drive for about a half hour or so, I get very little air flow out of the dash vents. The blower makes lots of noise but, on high, I get less air then I do from the low setting when it is working correctly. Are some of the doors in the vent system electrically operated and could a low battery cause this problem? The battery is at least 3 years old, I do not know exactly as I bought the car used 2.5 years ago and I have not replaced the battery.

Don
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is this my battery?

The voltage is not likely causing the weird AC operations you are describing. The air circulation system vent control doors are vacuum controlled.

A 3 year old battery should at least be checked as well the terminals cleaned regardless of the the other question.
I would also check the date code of the battery and see the exact age of the battery.
Batteries are stamped with a date code, either on the battery's case or a small attached label about 1/2 inch or smaller in diameter. Most date codes start with the letter indicating the month followed by the digit which is the year: For example, d9 stands for April 2009.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might have a bad low pressure/recycling valve. It's on top of the accumulator and if ti goes bad, things freeze up and won't allow the air to get into the interior of the car. The valve makes the compressor go on and off and when it's bad, the compressor stays on all the time. Does it start to blow at regular strength after a while without the air on? If it does, it's a sure sign the recycling valve is bad.

Old 19 Aug 2012, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I need to remember that one!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2012, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, happened to me twice. Once when it was diagnosed by the shop I go to for A/C work (Ice Cold Air) and the second time when they put the new valve in badly and squashed the tiny little "O" ring that's on the threads of the valve. It breaks really easily with too much pressure twisting the valve on.

Not sure what freezes up when the compressor doesn't recycle and stsys on all the time but if you stop the A/C and let "whatever" thaw out, it starts working again. Of course I, and most people, wouldn't know that so you just keep the A/C running but don't get the cold air into the interior and wonder why.

BTW, replacing the valve is easy as it doesn't loose any (well hardly any) coolant (R134a) when taking off the valve. Not like the high pressure valve.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 11:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin...that makes sense. When it is 110 during the day, the compressor does not need to recycle much so it would not do it, but when the temps drop to below 90 at night...