PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT transmission Loss Of Fluid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2012, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT transmission Loss Of Fluid

2006 Gt; Turbo; convertible

Y'all may remember me: replaced right side wheel brg and half shaft only to find out left side brg was the bad one. All fixed so took it to a local trailer/auto business to install tow brackets and the Remco transmission fluid pump so I can tow 4 down. They have done these before, they are a Remco Dealer!

Picked up car and towed behind RV to home, about 5 miles. Unhook cruiser and drive with one stop about 12-15 miles when trans barely engages, limp along about two miles to get to safe place to stop.

No fluid on stick, bone dry. Called AAA for tow home. Took other car and bought 4qt atf-4. Added same. Most come out as fast as I put it in on street beneath car. Called the shop and they had it towed in to fix.

My question if you haven't already guessed - in your experience - what are the chances the trans was damaged and can that be determine without doing a tear-down?

Side note: anyone want to get in the over/under pool my coworker's have on how many miles I get before something else these "expert mechanics" did craps out? Like the tow brackets falling off!

Leaving Friday for Colorado (from St. Louis), will definitely be a high anxiety trip!

As always, thanks
Old 20 Aug 2012, 08:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT transmission Loss Of Fluid

Well no way to know until you tare down. Those 2 miles in limp and slipping didn't help. Just make sure no leaks this time. This is another reason I like two up better. Besides no wear on drive train.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Aug 2012, 08:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: PT transmission Loss Of Fluid

Not to panic, the wee PT is a pretty hardy little car and I'm sure all will have survived, even if it did get a fright! The worst case is premature bearing, shaft or torque converter failure in the future. There is no way to tell really what's in store for ya without pulling it apart and having a look. I would just fix the leak and run it. If it fails later on then swap it out for a good one from a wrecker's yard
Old 20 Aug 2012, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT transmission Loss Of Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerHound View Post
Not to panic, the wee PT is a pretty hardy little car and I'm sure all will have survived, even if it did get a fright! The worst case is premature bearing, shaft or torque converter failure in the future. There is no way to tell really what's in store for ya without pulling it apart and having a look. I would just fix the leak and run it. If it fails later on then swap it out for a good one from a wrecker's yard
My biggest concern was for the clutch disks. The first things to ware in a slipping situation.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
2006, transmision fluid loss, transmission